Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Electrical trade

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Welcome elect1, I like the way you think. I have also heard this too many times, the problem in the industry is there is too much talk and too little doing. It starts at the top with laws and rates.

I wasted many an evening listening to all the talk at the ECA meetings and how the contractors where going to up their rates the very next day...and the very next day the quotes where still fit for a monkey, even the shit mechanics earn more than electricians.

2. Thanks given for this post:

ELECT 1 (18-Dec-13)

Thanks
    I think the problem is there are to many electricans
    If you go look at Olivantsfontein ask them how long it will take to get a date for a electrican trade test...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Yuri View Post
    I think the problem is there are to many electricans
    If you go look at Olivantsfontein ask them how long it will take to get a date for a electrician trade test...
    Put it this way, they made different categories of electricians so as to appease some one.
    So we sit now with 3 types, Installation electrician, Master electrician , single phase tester ( this is just absurd) There are multiples of these, One installation electrician and 10 or so single phase testers what ever this means.

So when a customer phones up for a problem, do we ask if you have a single phase or three phase installation, and the answer will be almost all the same " come again " Huh!

Thanks
    Thy must remove the single phase tester

Thanks
    As a matter of some interest and since I can’t find anything that explains it on my insurance contract, I would like to ask the following question: I have a guy refurbishing the house, both bathrooms and he has sorted out my elec problem with a section of the house that keeps on tripping. I asked him and he is not an electrician, but I am very happy with his work. My concern is that if my house had to burn down and a claim investigator finds out that electrical work was done without a certified electrician would I be in shit? I think I will be in shit, but I am not sure. I am definitely not going to phone my insurance to find out.
    It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change. – Charles Darwin

Thanks
    Mybe he just removed the earth or removed the installation from the earth leakage ? That will make it dangers

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by pmbguy View Post
    As a matter of some interest and since I can’t find anything that explains it on my insurance contract, I would like to ask the following question: I have a guy refurbishing the house, both bathrooms and he has sorted out my elec problem with a section of the house that keeps on tripping. I asked him and he is not an electrician, but I am very happy with his work. My concern is that if my house had to burn down and a claim investigator finds out that electrical work was done without a certified electrician would I be in shit? I think I will be in shit, but I am not sure. I am definitely not going to phone my insurance to find out.
    How do you know that it is done in accordance with the regulations. At least a registered electrical contractor using a qualified electrician has the prospects of getting most, if not all right.

The law is very clear, the onus is on the home owner to see that he gets his place compliant. If not, the insurance can give you a hard time.
    Insurance will always look for a way to not pay out, why give them this.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,258 Posts
    Blog Entries
    So the house burning down would be OK as long as the insurance pays?

Thanks
    Shot guys. You see he was busy with the bathrooms when I asked him about the tripping. He said he is not an electrician, but that he will have a look. Where the gate cable runs out the house, that cable was damaged, exposed, that’s why every time it rained it would trip. I tried to find where the cause was but I could not for the life of me find the dam fault. He jumped in and within 10min found the fault and later replaced that section of cable, works perfectly now. I usually call in an electrician for stuff I am too stupid to do, because then I know it’s done properly. I did not do that in this case, it was one of those things where I was gat fol and he was there saying he can sort it out.

How will I know that the cable he replaced is in compliance? It’s just a straight forward replacement and join, what must I look for to know? The new cable itself? the joins?
    It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change. – Charles Darwin

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave A View Post
    So the house burning down would be OK as long as the insurance pays?

Shit in tins Dave, Hell no. How could I ever replace my priceless collection of Simpson flies? Some of them my grandfather made. But I understand what you are saying. For me at this point it’s more a question of curiosity towards the technicalities of an insurance contact with regards to issues which may arise due to compliance, or lack thereof. I certainly don’t wish to risk the lives of my family or my fishing gear due to kak work, but I guess in this instance I did do just that

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast