Thread: 10142 Procedure for Single Phase Lockout

Email problem
    Thanks

Question 10142 Procedure for Single Phase Lockout

In an industrial manufacturing plant environment, we have 220VAC Single Phase equipment on the production floor. These include, Cut-off Saws, Pedastil Drills, Filter Extractor Fans and Sand blasters amongst others. These units are plugged into wall sockets at various locations around the Factory. All of our 3 phase units have isolator lockouts that incorporate a tagging system to lockout the power on the machine. As far as regulations go, I can not find what happens with units that are plugged in. Like a cut-off saw, that is moved from time to time around the factory. Whenan electrician is working on one, and he has unplugged it, there is no lockout provision as with a 3-phase isolator that is installed onto the 3-phase machines.

I can't seem to find a decent answer anywhere including in the standards. If any one has an idea on this, please could you help me out.

Thanks
    There's lots of different lockout devices for plug-in appliances and machinery. I haven't bought from this supplier but they have them on their website. Link

Find a plug lock-out that you can use the usual padlock protocols with, most electrical wholesalers should be able to supply.

3. Thanks given for this post:

mikilianis (22-Nov-13)

Silver Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by roroelec View Post
    In an industrial manufacturing plant environment, we have 220VAC Single Phase equipment on the production floor. These include, Cut-off Saws, Pedastil Drills, Filter Extractor Fans and Sand blasters amongst others. These units are plugged into wall sockets at various locations around the Factory. All of our 3 phase units have isolator lockouts that incorporate a tagging system to lockout the power on the machine. As far as regulations go, I can not find what happens with units that are plugged in. Like a cut-off saw, that is moved from time to time around the factory. Whenan electrician is working on one, and he has unplugged it, there is no lockout provision as with a 3-phase isolator that is installed onto the 3-phase machines.

I can't seem to find a decent answer anywhere including in the standards. If any one has an idea on this, please could you help me out.

An appliance that can be moved from time to time is regarded as a Stationary Appliance or a Portable Appliance depending on its application and ease of mobility.
    Both of these are not considered to be part of the electrical installation and there are no laws in SANS 10142:2009 that govern them other than it is recommended that the cord between the plug and the device be no longer than 3 meters. This is to ensure the operation of the over-current device

See 6.9.3.3 NOTE 3 which states that the removal of a plug from a socket-outlet is a means of safe disconnection.
    To make a mistake is human, to learn from that mistake is knowledge and knowledge is strength.

Email problem
    Thanks
    Much Help!! Thanks a lot.