Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Petrol attendant dispenses petrol into a diesel vehicle.

Thanks

Petrol attendant dispenses petrol into a diesel vehicle.

I have just returned from a chairing a disciplinary hearing where a service station forecourt attendant negligently dispensed petrol into a diesel powered vehicle.
    The attendant acknowledges that he is responsible for the error, and evidence presented confirms his negligence. This is the third occasion in a period of four year where this has happened with this attendant.
    The company disciplinary code specifies that as a first offence the penalty should be a final written warning or dismissal, dependent on the circumstances.
    The previous warnings from the hearings held have long since expired but are still in the employees personal file.
    This is by far the incident that has resulted in the largest claim against the service station and includes the draining of the vehicles fuel systems and replacement of fuel filters, the cost of a rental vehicle while the affected vehicle was being repaired and the cost of fuel lost and replaced as a result of the contamination.
    The total claim amounts to approximately R 8000-00. The petrol attendant earns R 1800-00 per fortnight.
    On previous occasions the attendant has been issued with a final written warning on each occasion and has been required to compensate the business for costs incurred.
    On this occasion the hearing initiator is calling for a dismissal in view of previous offences.

I accept the he is guilty of the charges and I believe that a dismissal would be invalid as all previous warnings have expired, or should they still be considered in arriving at a penalty?
    Should the service station have taken steps to ensure that this situation did not occur again? All forecourt attendants are regularly exposed to expected processes in order to ensure that the acceptable service standards are maintained which are tested by a mystery motorist from time to time.

Should the attendant be held responsible for the costs incurred, and if so how should this be recovered?

Your input is appreciated.
    Pat Kelly

Thanks
    I can't help you with the labour law but I know most if not all petrol stations are insured against 'cocktailing' as it's known in the industry so I doubt there's financial losses anywhere the R8K you stated.

3. Thanks given for this post:

Patk (24-Oct-13)

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    In 2006 my brother had this problem. But I fetched his toolbox and we fixed the car then and there. Cost us 2 hours of our lives. See my brother didn't start the car. So basically the Petrol was still in the tank and not on its way to the engine. So we drained the petrol flushed the tank and fit it again. I don't know what would happen if the car started but here is a truth. A modern motor "diesel" will set you back about R94k new. Just the injectors on that motor will set you back about R8k per 1 injector. A new head will set you back about R20k to R30k. In a word it is not cheap. Those where 2012 2013 prices.

So what I am saying is R8k doesn't sound right... even an old diesel engine will set you back about R16k.

So R8k is nothing...
    peace is a state of mind
    Disclaimer: everything written by me can be considered as fictional.

5. Thanks given for this post:

Patk (24-Oct-13)

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Note I am not defending the attendant, however I have had a spare diesel vehicle, and when ever I filled up at any petrol station, I always mention to the attendant, to fill up with "Diesel", knowing of the possibility that the incorrect fuel can be dispensed into a diesel tank.

The responsibility is also on the vehicle owner to ensure that the correct goods are dispensed.

With respect to the attendant, if this has happened in the past, and according to the records it is the 4th time, surely by now, he should have made a mental note, and learned from his past experience to ensure that the correct fuel is being dispensed. I reckon that this employee is a liability rather than an asset. It seems that he has total disregard to the services that he is being paid for. I would also call for a dismissal.

Life is about learning from your past experiences, and taking responsibility for your actions. You can only train so far, the learner must do the rest.
    Victor - Knowledge is a blessing or a curse, your current circumstances make you decide!
    Solar pumping, Solar Geyser & Solar Security lighting solutions - www.microsolve.co.za

7. Thank given for this post:

Patk (24-Oct-13), tec0 (23-Oct-13)

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Justloadit View Post
    Note I am not defending the attendant, however I have had a spare diesel vehicle, and when ever I filled up at any petrol station, I always mention to the attendant, to fill up with "Diesel", knowing of the possibility that the incorrect fuel can be dispensed into a diesel tank.

The responsibility is also on the vehicle owner to ensure that the correct goods are dispensed.

With respect to the attendant, if this has happened in the past, and according to the records it is the 4th time, surely by now, he should have made a mental note, and learned from his past experience to ensure that the correct fuel is being dispensed. I reckon that this employee is a liability rather than an asset. It seems that he has total disregard to the services that he is being paid for. I would also call for a dismissal.

Life is about learning from your past experiences, and taking responsibility for your actions. You can only train so far, the learner must do the rest.
    Exactly right. I am also old school, I get out open my own petrol cap and point to what I want. The responsible person remains the car owner.
    peace is a state of mind

9. Thanks given for this post:

Patk (24-Oct-13)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Is this the only attendant on the forecourt who has repeatedly had this problem?

If there are others, there is some indication that the employer should be examining their processes.
    If there are no others, and without the employee raising an issue that might have contributed to the error, this might be heading into the area of dismissal for incapacity.

I take it no evidence has been led that suggests it wasn't negligence?

11. Thanks given for this post:

Patk (24-Oct-13)

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    I had a similar problem, the attendant filled will green instead of red in the old days, my 3 litre ford courier bakkie coudnt handle the different petrol according to Ford, cost me R4800 back then to replace the pistols which had holes burnt in them. The joke back them for R9000 Ford would do a brand new engine exchange.

I ran 1800 courier bakkies for a while best money ever spent, went in for an engine exchange after it clocked 480 000, they wanted R32000.00.

13. Thanks given for this post:

Patk (24-Oct-13)

Thanks
    The final decision is to issue with a Final Written Warning and be held liable for any costs incurred by the service station.
    Thanks to all who input to this post
    Pat Kelly

15. Thanks given for this post:

tec0 (24-Oct-13)

Bronze Member
    Thanks
    I know one of the Service stations in Pinetown makes the guilty attendant pay for the insurance excess.The attendant also gets a warning or dismissal depending on number of offenses.

Shell Ultra City in Umgababa puts a little sign under your windscreen wiper every time you fill up.So if you get the wrong grade then it is your fault for not checking the sign.

17. Thank given for this post:

Patk (29-Oct-13), tec0 (28-Oct-13)

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I think people are just lazy... Simple you get out and have a look... How long does it take a person just to get in or out of a car? A few seconds at best so what is the problem? You open the door get out look at what the attendant is doing once he is done see if your cap is still your cap or someone elses. See if it is properly secured. by the time you are done checking they will have you slip ready and of you go...

The end.
    peace is a state of mind

19. Thanks given for this post:

Patk (29-Oct-13)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast