Thread: Novel ways to prevent crime

Thanks

Novel ways to prevent crime

A guy I knew had a few house break-ins and lost a rather large amount of property. He put up a higher fence, got a big dog called Caligula, got private security, but this did not deter the buggers and they continued to break in. He was at his wits end when somebody told him to put a sign up saying in Zulu and English “Snakes For Sale”. He put the sign up and placed a terrarium on the ground near the sign. Certain people in Africa are absolutely terrified of snakes and as a result he never had a single break-in after that.

In another example my friend’s dad was leasing some land where he was speculating with cattle. He had so many stolen that he took drastic action by buying himself a male ostrich which he kept along with the cattle in the same camp. Once he had this big bird walking around looking mean he did not lose a single head to theft. It worked like a charm.
    It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change. – Charles Darwin

Thanks
    I knew someone many years ago that used to have a rubber snake in his car for the same reason. It worked well until one day he parked somewhere with it on view and while he was gone several baboons decided to try and kill it by throwing rocks at it. The vehicle was a write-off.

3. Thanks given for this post:

pmbguy (21-Oct-13)

Thanks
    LOL!... I love it. Just imagine how difficult it must have been for him to claim from insurance.....uuuh Baboons threw rocks at my car because I had a rubber snake in it....
    It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change. – Charles Darwin

Thanks
    While we on the subject of animals damaging vehicles. I went fishing with my bud and we parked his new Isuzu double cab some distance from where we were fishing. After we had our last casts we headed back to find hundreds of cattle milling around the bakkie. Hell as we got closer we were shocked to see what they had done. They broke off both mirrors, chewed off the wind wipers, scratched the entire length of the van and ate a large chunk of the driver seat.

Thanks
    When I was younger one of my ex girlfriends did similar damage to my Audi, she was also a cow.

7. Thank given for this post:

Citizen X (22-Oct-13), Dave A (22-Oct-13), ians (22-Oct-13)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyD View Post
    When I was younger one of my ex girlfriends did similar damage to my Audi, she was also a cow.
    Bloody cows its horrific what damage they can do, lucky for me all my ex lovers still love me. An acquaintance of mine cheated on his wife and her revenge was to kill all his koi by pouring chlorine into the pond, apparently the fish were worth allot of money.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    If I ever do something my wife might not like, I just need to hide my fishing rods or make sure I am fishing when she finds out

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ians View Post
    If I ever do something my wife might not like, I just need to hide my fishing rods or make sure I am fishing when she finds out
    Ian you must never let your wife pose a threat to your fishing equipment. That’s totally unacceptable! I swear if my wife ever touches my fishing gear I will use her for shark bait, no just kidding.....I think