Thread: Pastel bank manager error - Internal error: Cannot open the shared memory region

Thanks

Exclamation Pastel bank manager error - Internal error: Cannot open the shared memory region

Hi all

I have encountered a very peculiar error when trying to run Pastel Bank Manager.

SETUP
    I have workstations using a remote server (Windows shared drive X for licence/registration and company data.
    The remote server is access via a network drive (X:\) on my file server called 'gateway2'.
    I have setup the licences using remote server option (drive X: and gateway2) and all works 100%
    Here is what is looks like:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Clipboard01.jpg 
Views:	549 
Size:	27.4 KB 
ID:	4063

You can see that
    1) PERFECTH is on GATEWAY2 (shared as drive X: on my laptop)
    2) PERFECTHXYZ is on DAVISLAPTOP (my laptop on drive C

PERFECTXYZ is an exact copy of PERFECTH

When I goto cashbook in PERFECTH (which is on the network drive X: ) and try to open Bank Manager
    I get this error
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Clipboard02.jpg 
Views:	749 
Size:	56.8 KB 
ID:	4064

When I goto cashbook in PERFECTHXYZ (which is on the local C: drive) and try to open Bank Manager
    I get no error everything works 100%

Looking at the error it sounds like there is some memory space that is not being initialized or is being incorrectly addressed.

I have been many hours on Pastel support line (don't get me started) and all they say is "It's a network problem and you need to fix your network".

I know TCP/IP networking very well. I have tools to run a trace on the network to see the exact packets traversing the network and I see nothing peculiar. No calls to the file server on unserviced ports, no funny packets, no interesting port listening on my laptop. Pastel can tell me nothing about what the network problem could be.
    My only thought is that perhaps it's a Netbios issue or LMhosts or something along that line (assuming of course that it actually is a network problem)

So I am seriously stuck. Any assistance or suggestions would be gratefully accepted.

Thanks David

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    It might be a folder or file read / write / execute permission from a remote pc problem, or a firewall setting problem on the server. I'm not familiar with Pastel, but multi-user mode on almost all software I've had to wrestle with wants to write or modify a file on the hosting server.

Try dropping a test text file into the folder from the server machine. Then try to edit and save that same file from the remote machine.

Thanks
    Thank you Dave
    I have solved it!
    The issue was permissions on the server
    It is strange because we have never had any issues adding deleting or changing files. But without full access permissions we got the error.

BTW I am running a Samba file server so that may have something to do with it.

Thanks all and to Neville Bailey for spending the time on the phone with me and giving me some pointers.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by duntiedt View Post
    Yep - that would be it. By default, Samba gives only the file owner write permissions.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by duntiedt View Post
    Thank you Dave
    I have solved it!
    The issue was permissions on the server
    It is strange because we have never had any issues adding deleting or changing files. But without full access permissions we got the error.

Thanks all and to Neville Bailey for spending the time on the phone with me and giving me some pointers.
    Hi There,

Sorry to resurrect such an old thread but I am at my wits end here. Same issue. Pastel setup in a multi-user environment and the company information is stored on a Samba file server.
    They can open their books on the file server without issue, but as soon as they try Bank Manager then I get the same error as you reported in your first post.

I have tried chatting to Pastel but they are numb to any questions when you mention that you are hosting data on anything other than windows. Pervasive SQL is running on the Windows clients side.

You insight w.r.t to your Samba permissions would be greatly appreciated.