Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Violence in our schools

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by adrianh View Post
    @Vanash - yes, and I could also be hit with a meteorite whilst lying in bed.

I will say it again, this country lacks discipline. Corporal punishment is a very effective way to punish people. Too much democracy and freedom is not a good thing, just look at the state of this country...

The reason corporal punishment was stopped in this country was not because it does not work, it was because the people doing the punishing had the same level of intelligence as Jacob Zuma i.e. That of an eggplant. It would be the same as saying that cops should no longer lock people up for drunken driving because a small minority of the cops that lock people up abuse those people. This country is very good at treating the wrong part of the problem, if 1 out of 1000 teachers go overboard with corporal punishment then deal with those teachers, don't ban the punishment. It is like saying because my one daughter came home late one night neither of my daughters may go out ever again. One should deal with the specific person and the specific event rather than just making blanket rules for everybody based on the fact that a small number of individuals are unable to conrol themselves.
    And there in is the problem. The eggplant mentality is "give people a snot klap" It doesn't treat the problem at all. No what you need is system at the school. If a student gets out of line remove that student via security give that student a criminal record and that student will never set foot in a school again. Yes it is harsh because you are taking away his future but you are giving a future to the other 39 students in the same class. Thus the the needs of the many comes first.

Real discipline starts with real responsibility
    peace is a state of mind
    Disclaimer: everything written by me can be considered as fictional.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tec0 View Post
    ... Later on a gang took me on 3 against 1 and I won... Shortly after that I got into my first knife fight then faced my first attacker armed with a gun. {note I was always unarmed}

Just like Chuck Norris. Tec how did you fight off the attacker armed with a gun when you were unarmed?
    It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change. – Charles Darwin

Thanks
    Just encase you take my post the wrong way I should elaborate my question for the sake of clarity. Chuck Norris is usually unarmed that’s why I mentioned him in reverence to you. You did say you faced an attacker with a gun. So did you comply with the demands of the armed attacker or did you fight him off. If you did fight him off how did you do it?
    It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change. – Charles Darwin

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by pmbguy View Post
    Just like Chuck Norris. Tec how did you fight off the attacker armed with a gun when you were unarmed?
    He pulled some Kung Fu on that them there dudes a$$

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pmbguy View Post
    I only remember seeing red. I can't recall anything... Normally when I get into a fight I lose control... When I lose control I see red... Just red...
    peace is a state of mind
    Disclaimer: everything written by me can be considered as fictional.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    So, when you see red you become bulletproof, cool.

Thanks
    Violence in our schools is a deadly serious matter. My concluding opinion is that we will only successfully redress this problem by changing the fabric of our society from a moral and ethical perspective.
    This problem can’t be successfully addressed by only the government, schools and school governing bodies. It will require an integrated approach i.e. parents, teachers, school governing bodies, religious organizations etc. Eradicating poverty and crime will contribute to less violence in our schools
    I can’t see how any South African is really surprised by the Glenvista High incident simply because we live in a very violent society.
    I think that this child offender is still very young and still has a future ahead of him in spite of what he has done.
    “Ubuntu is the essence of being humane" Desmond Tutu
    Spelling mistakes and/or typographical errors I found in leading publications.
    Click here
    sabbaticus

8. Thanks given for this post:

tec0 (14-Oct-13)

Thanks
    Not to make light of a situation that is serious but sometimes a different perspective is useful, besides the protagonists of this thread have taken the thread through different directions, I have a direction of my own!

I’m willing to bet that you will find a current criminal who not only holds that prestigious title but he is current incarcerated and still serving out his sentence. The crimes may differ murder, armed robbery, atm boimbing, theft, assault in its various forms, house breaking with intent to rob to name a few.
    It’s not beyond reasonable speculation that at least some of them may be able to truthfully testify that despite what they’ve done and admittedly they’ve been breaking the law since childhood and also considering what other members of their community may say about them such as their family, friends, church, soccer club, previous schools. This criminal may say the following:

“Yes, I’ve done a lot but I never assaulted my teacher, the thought hadn’t occurred to me and I had a great respect for my teacher. In fact my teacher always said that I was well behaved! Considering where I am, in this hell of prison, I say that you give this kid a chance. He did assault his teacher, as mentioned I would have never dared, but he’s young and naďve, he didn’t break in your house like I did, he didn’t rob you in a violent manner as the court record would show I did and he also didn’t murder you[I still maintain my innocence, I never murdered those people in the house I robbed I only wanted to rob them which I did].

Also, that train accident I caused, I want to state and confirm for the record that my intention was only sabotage, I wanted to blow the rail tracks so that the train derailed and the company suffers. I did realize that some people would be injured and killed but I must clarify I had nothing against them. I was just a disgruntled employee. I only wanted the train to come off the tracks to punish the company.

This kid done this some time back, he’s already withdrawn from his schooling community where he could have learnt something, he’s now out in the cold. Help him to a point where his life is turned around for the better. I’ve learnt a thing or two about time, the past 15 years here hasn’t been nice. I still have 5 to go before parole, his next 15 years are still formative and challenging.”

“Ubuntu is the essence of being humane" Desmond Tutu
    Spelling mistakes and/or typographical errors I found in leading publications.
    Click here
    sabbaticus

10. Thanks given for this post:

tec0 (18-Oct-13)

Thanks
    I sometimes travel out to the rural areas around PMB to service black schools. I find that the more rural the schools are the more disciplined the children are. One headmaster impressed me greatly with his style of discipline. The kids are well behaved, neat and relatively quiet when going about their business. The headmaster of this school carries around with him at all times a willow stick that he tucks into his belt. After I serviced their machines I sat down with him in his office for some tea. I complimented him on how disciplined the kids are and I enquired about the stick he carries around with him. He explained that he uses the stick very seldom, but the mere fact that the kids know they will get a wack if they step out of line is enough to discourage bad behaviour. I asked whether he was not afraid of getting into trouble with the department, but he explained that the parents are on his side. He said that without discipline the kids simply won’t receive the education they deserve. So for the sake of the children he is willing to break the law by giving the odd hiding. Because of the subsequent good discipline the teachers are motivated and they have a close to 100% pass rate.

Other schools I visit stand in stark contrast to the school above. The kids are ill disciplined the teachers are not motivated and their pass rate is pathetic.

This makes me wonder whether banning corporal punishment was really in the best interest of the children.

12. Thanks given for this post:

Dave A (21-Oct-13)

Suspended
    Thanks
    I will say it again, this country lacks discipline. Corporal punishment is a very effective way to punish people. Too much democracy and freedom is not a good thing, just look at the state of this country...
    I fully agree with you Adrian. It worked in our day. If you caused trouble at school you were given a hiding and then when you went home and told your folks they would give you another hiding. It worked in the army. You did not cause trouble with a corporal because he would very quickly sort you out. Discipline starts in the home. If you are ill disciplined you will more than likely find that your parents were non existent. Nothing wrong with giving kids a good klap or hiding now and then.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast