Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Windows head technician

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Diamond Member
    Thanks

Windows head technician

I get a call just now from a guy calling himself Edward Jonson, he tells me he is the head technician for Microsoft windows , from a number number 001800180200. when I asked him his name and contact number he gave me another number, 031-5000456 and tells me it is Microsoft head office number in the USA, sounds like a Durban number to me. He has an Indian/Pakistan accent.

He informs me that someone is hacking into my computer and downloading malicious software, he ask me how old my computer is and what virus protection program iam using, then the thing that got me suspicious ...am I running windows software on my PC, in one breathe he tells me that they have detected someone hacking into my windows PC, then asks me if I am running windows.

So I play along and he tells me to log onto my PC and and press the windows button and r together, so I say yes he ask me what I can see, so I tell him, then he tells me to type a name, which I don't do because surely he doesn't think I am that stupid, but I say yes again then he ask me what I see on my screen, so I tell him "idiot", he doesn't understand, so I tell him again I can see idiot on my screen. So he tells me to type the word again, so I tell him ok, he then ask what I can see on the screen, so I tell him idiot again, he sounds very confused, so I tell him there is nothing on my screen because I am not at my computer but I will write everything down that he is telling me and give it to my computer support company to get one of their technician to follow the procedure, click the phone goes dead.

So who knows what all this is about and how many people are getting conned like this, because surely the head technician at Microsoft in the USA doesn't have time to call every person in the world with a virus on their computer.

I am just interested to know what they are trying to achieve, maybe one of the smart techs on this forum can tell me what this is all about.

What concerns me is he read out all my personal details full name, telephone numbers, physical address, just shows how open we are on the internet to too many things.

2. Thanks given for this post:

tec0 (29-Oct-13)

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    You are being scammed!

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    The problem is you have to be on your toes all the time, there are a things I have learnt from these scammers, if you suspect anything, the first thing you do is ask for a contact number and tell them you will call them back, hopefully the phone will go dead, if they give you a number call it while you have them on the line.

The other thing I have noticed is they ask stupid question like the call from the bank the other day, I am busy opening an account at the bank so I was expecting a call from them, but one of the calls was a scam, and he called me by my name but them asked me if I had an existing account with standard bank, so my response was, if you are calling from the bank why are you asking me that question and put down the phone.

I bought a new vehicle, never asked for insurance because I have my own broker, now I get 10 sms a day with companies trying to sell insurance and people calling my number to sell me insurance.

It is a battle field out there trying to filter through what is crap and not.

Thanks
    The try to con you into installing a remote desktop type application similar to teamviewer. This gives them access to you PC and probably your entire network From there on it's sunshine all the way as far as they're concerned, personal documents, bank details, business records....you name it. On top of that they'll probably try extort money out of you so you can access your PC again. If it were me I'd give you access back for free and leave you with a rootkit so I could come back in six months for an encore.....but hey, that's just me. Maybe the scammers aren't that evil.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    I forgot to mention if you have find me or any other location detection on your phone people can watch your every move. If you where smart criminal, that's what you would be doing is monitoring people movements before you hit the house, or in the case of women and children, you could follow them and get a pattern of movements, just too easy.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    I know that, that is why when Mr Jonson asked what I could see on my screen, I told him idiot because I wasn't looking at my computer screen.

I am curious to know what they are trying to achieve and why windows + r button together, then typing in whatever it was he was trying to get me to type, I was just having fun with him. He sounded quite convincing, but got a little frustrated when he realised I was messing with him, suddenly the phone went click.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    I got another call today informing me that I have people downloading software which my computer virus protection cannot detect, so I get a number and and call it while he is on the line, it works this time there is a lady who answers the phone Microsoft SA good day, so I asked to speak to the head chief technical person so she put me through, she also gave me an address 3012 William Nicol drive Brynstan, so I google the address and guess what it is Microsoft south Africa.

http://www.microsoft.com/southafrica...ontact-us.aspx

this is not the real one!!!! the +27 119905000 number only works while they run the scam.

Address
    Microsoft Bryanston Office
    3012 William Nicol Drive
    Bryanston
    Johannesburg
    Name: Fleishman-Hillard | Andrea Slater
    Phone: 0860 2255 67 (CALL MS) | +27 11 990 5000
    Fax: +27 11 361 7004
    Email: mssa@fleishman.co.za

if you type in contact number for Microsoft SA the number above will come up, the only difference between the official Microsoft and this page is the 011 9905000 number only works while they are trying to scam you, as soon as you put down the phone and try it again it indicates there is such number, and when the lady answers the phone she indicates that she will put you through for technical support.

when you call the real Microsoft number the lady tells you it must be a scam because there is no technical support

http://www.microsoft.com/worldwide/p...South%20Africa

South Africa

Microsoft South Africa Home Page

3012 William Nicol Drive
    Bryanston
    Johannesburg
    PO Box 5817
    Rivonia

Switchboard (Not for Technical Support): +27 11 361 9000
    Fax: +27 (11) 361 7004
    Microsoft Customer Care Center:
    0860 2255 67

E-mail: mssatalk@microsoft.com

Microsoft South Africa Product Support

They are getting smarter, I told the person that I am running Ubuntu so I don't understand how he got my number, that really throws a spanner in the works, and tell him there is no windows logo on your keyboard that blows them completely out the water, because they don't know how else to carry on with the scam.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    I wonder how many people get caught?

Thanks
    Windows + r is just the shortcut to open a run box. He would have told you to type something into the run box to execute an application

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    what concerns me is that he has all my personal details, for all I know the spam that you receive could already be the application, they just need you to activate it.

So any tips on safe programs to download and clean up, I know my netbook got some sort of spyware and a virus, the computer company where I bought it loaded program which ran for 3 hours trying to lean it out, it has never been the same.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast