Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Windows head technician

Platinum Member sterne.law@gmail.com's Avatar
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    On the sounding so real etc, etc,
    Try watch a program called Real Hustle, they show how various cons/scams are pulled.
    Almost all are based on getting confidence and trust to look authentic.
    Anthony Sterne

www.acumenholdings.co.za
    DISCLAIMER The above is merely a comment in discussion form and an open public arena. It does not constitute a legal opinion or professional advice in any manner or form.

2. Thanks given for this post:

tec0 (29-Oct-13)

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    The problem is you have to be on your toes all the time, there are a things I have learnt from these scammers, if you suspect anything, the first thing you do is ask for a contact number and tell them you will call them back, hopefully the phone will go dead, if they give you a number call it while you have them on the line.

The other thing I have noticed is they ask stupid question like the call from the bank the other day, I am busy opening an account at the bank so I was expecting a call from them, but one of the calls was a scam, and he called me by my name but them asked me if I had an existing account with standard bank, so my response was, if you are calling from the bank why are you asking me that question and put down the phone.

I bought a new vehicle, never asked for insurance because I have my own broker, now I get 10 sms a day with companies trying to sell insurance and people calling my number to sell me insurance.

It is a battle field out there trying to filter through what is crap and not.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    I forgot to mention if you have find me or any other location detection on your phone people can watch your every move. If you where smart criminal, that's what you would be doing is monitoring people movements before you hit the house, or in the case of women and children, you could follow them and get a pattern of movements, just too easy.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    I got another call today informing me that I have people downloading software which my computer virus protection cannot detect, so I get a number and and call it while he is on the line, it works this time there is a lady who answers the phone Microsoft SA good day, so I asked to speak to the head chief technical person so she put me through, she also gave me an address 3012 William Nicol drive Brynstan, so I google the address and guess what it is Microsoft south Africa.

http://www.microsoft.com/southafrica...ontact-us.aspx

this is not the real one!!!! the +27 119905000 number only works while they run the scam.

Address
    Microsoft Bryanston Office
    3012 William Nicol Drive
    Bryanston
    Johannesburg
    Name: Fleishman-Hillard | Andrea Slater
    Phone: 0860 2255 67 (CALL MS) | +27 11 990 5000
    Fax: +27 11 361 7004
    Email: mssa@fleishman.co.za

if you type in contact number for Microsoft SA the number above will come up, the only difference between the official Microsoft and this page is the 011 9905000 number only works while they are trying to scam you, as soon as you put down the phone and try it again it indicates there is such number, and when the lady answers the phone she indicates that she will put you through for technical support.

when you call the real Microsoft number the lady tells you it must be a scam because there is no technical support

http://www.microsoft.com/worldwide/p...South%20Africa

South Africa

Microsoft South Africa Home Page

3012 William Nicol Drive
    Bryanston
    Johannesburg
    PO Box 5817
    Rivonia

Switchboard (Not for Technical Support): +27 11 361 9000
    Fax: +27 (11) 361 7004
    Microsoft Customer Care Center:
    0860 2255 67

E-mail: mssatalk@microsoft.com

Microsoft South Africa Product Support

They are getting smarter, I told the person that I am running Ubuntu so I don't understand how he got my number, that really throws a spanner in the works, and tell him there is no windows logo on your keyboard that blows them completely out the water, because they don't know how else to carry on with the scam.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Unfortunately our telecommunications industry isn’t a big help as you need all kinds of paperwork before they will even consider tracing the call. Secondly my thinking is that there is something on your computer that doesn’t belong there.

A program activated by pressing of these two keys but that too doesn’t sound right to me surly they can just start there program in TSR when your computer starts up. So my thinking moves towards someone that may not know much about preboot and services part of the system as both can be used to activate software without any human intervention.

I would recommend you do a scan of your system.

The second part is your private information. I too had a phone call that demanded to speak to the primary computer user. I asked him who he was and where he got my info from. I never got an answer but I have a sneaky suspicion that it might be the people that have access to real accounts that sell this info.

I will not name the store but I know for a fact that some employees will collect files make duplicates and sell them for R100 a pop.
    peace is a state of mind
    Disclaimer: everything written by me can be considered as fictional.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Thing is the "run command" windows button + r button can activate and or access anything and I do mean anything. I would love know what command they gave you. My guess would be CMD and from that point you can do some serious damage.
    peace is a state of mind

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tec0 View Post
    I never got an answer but I have a sneaky suspicion that it might be the people that have access to real accounts that sell this info.

I will not name the store but I know for a fact that some employees will collect files make duplicates and sell them for R100 a pop.
    A sick world we are living in. Just pure greed, and we reckon we have moved forward with our democracy.
    Victor - Knowledge is a blessing or a curse, your current circumstances make you decide!
    Solar pumping, Solar Geyser & Solar Security lighting solutions - www.microsolve.co.za

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Justloadit View Post
    A sick world we are living in. Just pure greed, and we reckon we have moved forward with our democracy.
    Sadly it is fact that your information has value.

See I got a new mobile phone number and decided not to use it at all. I placed in a old phone and left it charged and “active” but I never not once used the number. The only people that had access to my information was the service provider and RICA. I got 5 calls each a scam. So where do you think the leak starts?
    peace is a state of mind

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    When I told them I was running Ubuntu, the fella got rather worked up and told me I must be mistaken and when I told him I didn't have the windows logo on my keyboard, he put me through to the supervisor who them started giving me word hiding because he said I am confused

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12