Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Incoming/Outgoing E mail settings ?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,258 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by chrismine View Post
    The problem is that your current connection does not relay outgoing mail - you need to set the outgoing mail setting to be "compatible" with the current connection - wifi hotspot is a problem as you don't know who the ISP is....
    Here is a list of the most common Outgoing servers
    This post demonstrates why it is so important your business email setup should not be ISP dependant. It's worth investing the time to get an email configuration setup that won't hamstring you this way.

As an aside - Reading your link, using IMAP in SA can be quite a challenge - it only seems to work in any sort of usable way when connecting to local servers. My experience is accessing offshore servers from SA via IMAP is somewhere between impossible and extremely unreliable.

Suspended
    Thanks
    The problem is that your current connection does not relay outgoing mail - you need to set the outgoing mail setting to be "compatible" with the current connection - wifi hotspot is a problem as you don't know who the ISP is....
    Here is a list of the most common Outgoing servers
    Thank you Chrismine. So does that mean if I do use one of those settings you mentioned, its compatible ? Or is there another button I need to click to make it compatible ?

Thanks
    If the smtp settings is the one for the service provider it should work. If it is your domain e-mail eg. info@2hrs.co.za the smtp setting is usually mail.2hrs.co.za which usually work with all connections - the problem is when for instance one try to sent your ISP based e-mail for instance mine is ****@axxess.co.za via a Telkom connection the you change the smtp for smtp.axxess.co.za to smtp.saix.net as Telkom refuse to relay the message when it is set as smtp.axxess.co.za.

A way to try solve it is to set your e-mail address twice with the same settings except for the smtp setting and give it a number 1 or 2 - one is when you are connected via Telkom and the 2 is when connected via a different connection - the just choose the number of the account when composing the message according to the connection at the moment.....

BOVER Technologies
    - computer sales and TeamViewer support
    Elmine Botha Freelance Photographer - Photographer/ Videographer

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    @HR - AmpleHosting must tell you what to do, they are the crowd hosting your site.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,258 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by chrismine View Post
    the problem is when for instance one try to sent your ISP based e-mail for instance mine is ****@axxess.co.za via a Telkom connection the you change the smtp for smtp.axxess.co.za to smtp.saix.net as Telkom refuse to relay the message when it is set as smtp.axxess.co.za
    Yeah - the ISP peering wars and the stunts they get up to suck. However, my concern for the moment is we're confusing HR Solutions by dragging in issues that shouldn't affect his situation. As you say, under normal circumstances mail.2hrs.co.za should work regardless of the ISP you're using (as long as your smtp settings ensure you log in and authenticate before sending the message).

6. Thanks given for this post:

Chrisjan B (26-Sep-13)

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    What I find with my domain is that one day it works with authentication and the next day it doesn't.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12