Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks

Weird marketing

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	15042011180.jpg 
Views:	288 
Size:	55.3 KB 
ID:	3998
    This mannequin has been standing in front of this shop for years, near the bottom of Longmarket on the left. The owner places it there every morning, I see they have it chained up lately. The shop is a small general dealer/take away. Its bonkers, encase you can’t see what the sign says: “My name is Thoko Rilly. I am a Good girl. Make the circle bigger” now is it just me or is this downright weird.
    Last edited by pmbguy; 24-Sep-13 at 06:46 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I found this article from The Witness.

(It's Thoko Pillay BTW).

3. Thanks given for this post:

pmbguy (24-Sep-13)

Thanks
    Thanks Dave, so she was arrested after I took my photo cool, I have some true history here. I am glad there is something written about Thoko. As soon as you see her you start to smile, seeing her back then made me pull over immediately, I wanted to read the sign once I did the whole event was instantly unforgettable. I think Thoko’s boss is a wise man. I do have good news though, she is back outside in her natural habitat during the day, he wheels her out every morning and puts her to bed at night
    It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change. – Charles Darwin

Thanks
    They don't seem to be the same picture?

But anyway, that is really weird. At least it catches attention.

Thanks
    Hi carloborja it’s not the same picture but the same lady "Thoko" I took my pic in 2011 before the witness thing later that year. In my pic she is holding the original sign, In the witness she in holding the sign from after her incarceration. I think they also gave her a cleanup and a new dress for the cameras, she is looking gorgeous in the witness pic. I drove passed the other day and she is still there, but looking a bit dirty again, but with the same facial expression.
    I tell you this much it really really draws your attention as you walk or drive by, still baffling though. What is written on the original sign is the weirdest part.
    It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change. – Charles Darwin

Thanks
    Oh. Now I see why.

What exactly do they sell and why are they suggesting to "make the circle bigger?"

Thanks
    I never went into the shop itself it looked to me like a general dealer and perhaps take away, but I see in the Witness paper it says furniture store. Come to think of it there is always furniture outside, but still my best description would be general dealer. Next time I will go in and provide a full report back. Thoko stands on the pavement in front of the shop during the day, at night he takes her inside...oooooohh...”make the circle bigger” is a SA saying and later song, which refers to when people are dancing in a circle to hip hop or other jamms and new people are arriving “make the circle bigger” It is to accommodate the new dancers to the circle. The previous dancers get excited because new people are joining. It is both a practical and motivational saying for the people on the dance floor. The saying is widely spoken among communities in SA, Cape town especially. May I add another one I will never forget ”... tier lydjie tear...tear lydjie tear” is said to haul up an enthusiastic dancer into pulling some big moves! (Lydjie means kid) this usually leads to more “make the circle bigger” and some more tear lydjie. You need to hear in accent it to fully appreciate it.

Thanks
    Thanks for clarifying that pmbguy.

That sure is something I wold love to look more into. Got me interested! All because of Thoko Pillay.

Thanks
    Thoko made me think about having a giant! majestic statue holding a printer up aaAAAa. Like those giants along route 66 USA.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    I think that "Let's make the circle bigger" has come to mean "let's make more friends" - Solly Philander used it in this context all the time when he was on Cape Talk.

12. Thanks given for this post:

carloborja (27-Sep-13)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast