Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Windows 7 Networking SUCKS

Diamond Member
    Thanks

Windows 7 Networking SUCKS

Of course this morning the Windows 7 laptop is blind again, it can only see itself. Stupid thing......

I hate having to p1$$ around with this nonsense all the time. The XP machines never gave this much networking trouble.

Email problem
    Thanks
    Hm, very strange...I never had any problems with it.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    I run 2 x Windows 7 notebooks and 3 XP machines, the stupid thing gets confused all the time. What I did find though is that when I disable 128 bit encryption and allow 40-50 bit encryption it behaves better.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Try extending the TTL setting. That way the devices won't be renewing their lease as regularly and their locations on the network will be cached longer.

Thanks
    Greetings Adrian

Consider your firewall in control panel. Do some research and if you find that you don't need it to be active disable it. This will allow other network devices to communicate and have easier access. Consider a device like a smart router. allocate it the responsibility to assign IP addresses and connect this to a standard switch. The smart router will then handle internet allocation and IP allocation within the network. I recommend that you research and consider running the network wizard application and make sure that all your systems have the same basic network descriptions and settings.

unfortunately I am unable to provide you with any links or information regarding smart devices.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Makes no difference with or without the firewalls. All my machines get IP addresses via DHCP from the router.

It might be a function of making the laptop hibernate in the evening and then waking it up in the morning. Maybe it doesn't go and properly research the network when it wakes up.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by adrianh View Post
    Makes no difference with or without the firewalls. All my machines get IP addresses via DHCP from the router.

It might be a function of making the laptop hibernate in the evening and then waking it up in the morning. Maybe it doesn't go and properly research the network when it wakes up.
    Greetings Adrian

Network discovery requires the following:

• DNS Client
    • SSDP Discovery,
    • UPnP Device Host
    • NetBIOS over TCP IP [optional]

All aforementioned services must be started. Ensure that network discovery is allowed to communicate through Windows Firewall. Ensure that your Network Location are the same.

You may also need to enable your guest accounts [untested]

Thanks
    Wha..ha..ha.. yep, had same issues. W7 would work one day and see nothing else the next. Did all that and would still have same issues every now and again. The ONLY way I could get it to behave properly (all the time) was to setup my Kubuntu PC as a Domain Server grabbing IP addresses from the router. Only issue is now all PCs/Laptops need to login through the domain in order to see and be seen (not to mention the Kubuntu needs to be turned on else nothing works) - but at least W7 now behaves.

Painful that one OS makes us jump through such hoops! Never had any such issues with XP/2000/NT/any Linux.
    Gold is the money of kings; silver is the money of gentlemen; barter is the money of peasants; but debt is the money of slaves. - Norm Franz
    And central banks are the slave clearing houses

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    W7 is a pain. Networking sucks and they changed silly thing for no reason. MS & Apple are both heading down the toilet of destroying their own products by introducing unnecessary absurd changes and calling them "innovations" How in the hell could W8 be called innovative, maybe to child that's never used a PC before, but to an adult who went through all the versions of Windows it is simply a pain.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    I found a solution to Windows 7 networking that works every time. It seems that Windows 7 doesn't correctly reinitialize the network adaptor when the machine is woken up after hibernation. Every morning when I power the laptop up from sleep the network is messed up, it seems to see randomly selected devices.

The trick seems to be to restart the wireless adaptor, all the connections are established fresh and the problem goes away. I don't know whether the Ethernet adaptor reacts the same way.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast