Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Windows 7 Networking SUCKS

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    The thing that annoys me about Windows 7 and the laptops is that it is a consistent on-going issue. We need to bounce the router now and again but I've never raelly had problems with XP network via Ethernet or WiFi.

Thanks
    I've always had issues with my home network. I have 12 PC's, 5 laptops, 3 servers and 3 tablets spread across a 4 port switch, a 24 port switch and a 4 port router/internet gateway. 4 of the PC's are on different linux OS's, 1 old development PC on dual boot DOS and FreeDOS and NT4, 1 PC on Unix, 1 PC is Win95, 1PC and 1 laptop is win98, 2PC's and 1 laptop on WinXP, 1 laptop on Vista, 1 PC & 1 laptop on Win7, 1 PC & 1 laptop on Win8, 2 servers running win7 server edition and one server on plain win7. The 3 tablets are on various Android OS's and my wife has a work laptop on Wn7 that occasionall comes home.

I hate my network with a passion.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyD View Post
    I've always had issues with my home network. I have 12 PC's, 5 laptops, 3 servers and 3 tablets spread across a 4 port switch, a 24 port switch and a 4 port router/internet gateway. 4 of the PC's are on different linux OS's, 1 old development PC on dual boot DOS and FreeDOS and NT4, 1 PC on Unix, 1 PC is Win95, 1PC and 1 laptop is win98, 2PC's and 1 laptop on WinXP, 1 laptop on Vista, 1 PC & 1 laptop on Win7, 1 PC & 1 laptop on Win8, 2 servers running win7 server edition and one server on plain win7. The 3 tablets are on various Android OS's and my wife has a work laptop on Wn7 that occasionall comes home.

It is an easy fix actually...

All you need is an intelligent switch that is capable to assign IP addresses. Once you set it up don’t use the whole IP range “example 192.168.0.1 to 192.168.0.50. For your DOS systems you can use a dedicated IP of 192.168.0.60 and up. Linux and the rest of them can be setup to accept the IP given to them.

Secondly your intelligent switch can handle your ADSL just take a single cable from your ADSL 4 port into it and still maintain the router/internet setup as is. Now your network will gel. But access permissions is going to be a bitch...

why not just use IPX/SPX? on your desktops? It will share anything with anything basically.
    peace is a state of mind
    Disclaimer: everything written by me can be considered as fictional.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyD View Post

Do you breed computers or are you catholic with 19 kids?

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234