Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Windows 7 Networking SUCKS

Thanks
    You might be correct in that. I had a similar issue re my external HDD (a Seagate 1TB FreeAgent GoFlex). I've got lots of work files on it (Revit 3d model), which I'd open and work on. Then (an hour later) when I want to save the drive needs to be woken up (takes between 20sec an 1min depending on how W7 "feels" at the time). It actually was faster to unplug it and re-plug it into the USB port - would take no more than 5 sec to see the drive letter in Explorer, though that would sometimes stuff up file access rights - necessitating a reboot.

I tried every possible setting, including all the advanced stuff in power saving. None of them solved this issue. My solution (finally) was to write a DotNet app which simply re-writes a txt file on that drive every 10 sec. That way the drive never goes off. And BTW, this happened on my LapTop AS WELL as a Desktop, AS WELL as my work PC.
    Gold is the money of kings; silver is the money of gentlemen; barter is the money of peasants; but debt is the money of slaves. - Norm Franz
    And central banks are the slave clearing houses

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    I find the same thing with my external drive when it is connected directly to the laptop. I'm going to connect it through an active hub and see what it does. Could it be a USB power saving feature?

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    I just tried the active hub and it still falls asleep, it might be a power saving feature of the drive itself.

Thanks
    Yep from my experience it seems to be some sort of power saving "feature". If you want I can send you the source code for my proggy (to be compiled using Visual Studio Express 2008 or later, or even the open source SharpDevelop). Can't attach it since the ZIP is 145kb, more than this site's max attachment size. Otherwise I could give you the already compiled EXE file, though many wouldn't trust such (as you can't see exactly what it's doing).

The proggy simply runs as an icon in the windows task bar, I added a shortcut to it in my Starup menu folder so it starts automatically. You set what path you want it to write this "Prevent Sleep.txt" file to and the interval in minutes (sorry previous post in error it only needed to write once every 10 minutes not seconds). Can be set to do the same for multiple paths through the one proggy. Uses 12MB RAM ( that's DotNet for you, could probably have gotten it much lower if I spent some time in converting it to true C++ or such).
    Gold is the money of kings; silver is the money of gentlemen; barter is the money of peasants; but debt is the money of slaves. - Norm Franz

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    nosleephd there you go...
    peace is a state of mind
    Disclaimer: everything written by me can be considered as fictional.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    The drive falling asleep has never really botherd me because all my work are gererally smallish files that load and stay open for a while, mostly drawings. I think that if one were to code and compile on such a drive ior have database on it it would lead to much hair pulling. There must be a way to shut the service down though, it would merely be code that puts the plattrr to sleep but leaves the usb logic etc running. Another thing would be that the on board buffer memory keeping pointers into files would also need to stay awake.

Do you code in Cand do you know your way around USB?

Thanks
    You're probably correct about the sleeping happening inside the drive. It's just that I get the exact same issue with all usb drives. Same goes for a Western Digital Elements, even the usb sticks do the same thing. I've looked on the sites too, no mention of a built-in hibernation feature, much less about how to turn it off.

Unfortunately my files are at least 50MB in size, the project I'm doing right now is already 250MB (and I've only been at it for 2 Months). I've learned to copy the file off to the built-in HDD, but some of the stuff isn't that easy to do (pathings get screwed if you do this as interlinked files need to be at the same paths).

Wish I found the nosleephd when I made the Prevent Sleep in 2011. Would have saved me a few non-productive hours. Though it helped me hone a bit of C#. Anyhow, here's my source for PreventSleep: https://app.box.com/s/89qs4y1g27f680uedftd

I'm only an amateur programmer. Actually employed by an Architectural Firm (building plans, not software). I do have a BCom (Info Systems) degree where I learned programming & database management, but found that I get better payment in arch due to 20+ years experience. Have been using these things a lot in conjunction though - for the past couple of years I've been doing a lot of C# for addons to Revit. Prior to that a lot of Lisp/C# for AutoCAD, even an Open Source project for the AutoCAD stuff: http://sourceforge.net/projects/caddons/

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by irneb View Post
    You're probably correct about the sleeping happening inside the drive.
    Actually what proves to me that it's a Windows thing: I plug the usb drive into my Linux box (Kubuntu Desktop 64bit 12.04) then this sleeping doesn't occur. That's also a way of getting around this issue, though it only works at home (office PC doesn't have Linux/BSD installed so I can't do this).

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    I was in the middle of typing a reply to you and WinSuck decided to shut the PC down right then and do an update....stooped thing...

I'm only an amateur programmer. Actually employed by an Architectural Firm (building plans, not software). I do have a BCom (Info Systems) degree where I learned programming & database management, but found that I get better payment in arch due to 20+ years experience. Have been using these things a lot in conjunction though - for the past couple of years I've been doing a lot of C# for addons to Revit. Prior to that a lot of Lisp/C# for AutoCAD, even an Open Source project for the AutoCAD stuff: http://sourceforge.net/projects/caddons/
    I do a lot of laser cutting for architects and students. It's amazing how bad some of the drawings are. I've had drawings with 64 layers in 1:1 scale and parts randomly strewn across the layers, many people don't seem to know how to use scale. Another thing is that they don't seem to realize that I am not responsible for cleaning up their drawings, all I need is a drawing drawn 1:1 in mm to be cut on the laser. They also don't seem to realize that you cannot simply reduce the true blueprint and expect to turn that into an architectural model, the concept of "scale representation is lost on them" I can't tell you how many hours I've spent removing duplicate lines and adding missing lines. I also try to lay up the parts so that edges meet and edge cuts are reduced by reducing the double edge vectors to one. One girl wanted to cut 17 sheets of Triplex into all sorts of little squares to build her model, I told her that all that's going to happen is that she is going to end up with a plastic bag full of little bits that she has absolutely no chance of fitting together....but of course 3rd year students know better.

I use Rhino V5 for nearly all my drawing because I also do 3D modelling for CNC and then simply create the tool paths within Rhino using a CAM plugin. Rhino doesn't have an "overkill command" so I do a bit of a workaround to simulate it. I convert line segments to points and then redraw those lines into polylines or curves and then remove the points and old lines. It's a pain but it is better than checking each line segment. It's one of those things that need to be automated but I've never really spent too much time on Rhino scripts & it's VBA etc.

Rhino is probable the most versatile drawing program I've ever come across. I simply do not know how anybody could use CorelDraw to run lasers because simple stuff is just so difficult to do.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    We finally resolved the Windows 7 networking issue today. The problem lies in both our laptop WiFi subsystems. When the laptop is woken up from sleep the WiFi connection does not seem to be re-established. That connectivity is only properly re-established when the WiFi network is disconnected and reconnected or the WiFi radio is bounced. But when the laptops are connected via Ethernet there are NO PROBLEMS EVER with either laptop. When they wake up they simply take a couple of seconds to refresh the connection and everything is fine.

I also found that the WiFi connection gives trouble when the machine is left for a while with the screensaver on, it could be that the WiFi radio falls asleep.. maybe its a power saving problem...Just checked the power saving features and the WiFi power is set to maximum when the machine is connected via the power supply...

Stoopid Acer laptops...we've got 4 of them....

We now run the laptops exclusively on Ethernet with the WiFi radios turned off. We only use the WiFi connectivity when messing around somewhere else in the house and there is no real need to be connected to the network.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast