Thread: Business Schools and Courses

Thanks

Business Schools and Courses

Hi All

I'm hoping someone here can assist me by answering a few questions. I currently hold a Bsc Engineering degree but realize this is not enough in the ways of business knowledge/management etc. As a result of this, I'm currently trying to find information on reputable business schools and the courses they offer.

I live in Durban, so schools which require one to attend courses on campus in other parts of the country are not really an option (I know this narrows it down). So effectively my question to the forum is this:

Which Business Schools in SA have a good reputation amongst industry professionals (including self study), and which courses do you feel would be a good place to start researching?

Some feedback on this would really be appreciated, as I can't seem to find any other channels on the net to provide me with assistance.

Many Thanks
    Chris

Thanks
    Hi Chris,

I also come from an engineering background. I started my business without any formal business training. That comes with its own challenges.

When I decided that starting my own business was the way to go I got actively involved with a forum (similar to this one) and started asking all the questions that I had no clue about. Sure, I was inexperienced and had no idea what I was talking about, but slowly things became clear. I learnt from people who already had the experience (which can be quite different in reality than on paper). It was (and still is) a great learning experience. Now days I ask all my questions here, and get amazing answers (there are some very experienced guys hanging around here).

I also started actively reading business books, and whatever I could get my hands on (blogs, articles, etc.)

I know this doesn't answer your question, as I said, I have not yet formally studied business, but I hope it helps.

To sum up, ask questions, more questions, and even more questions - there are plenty of people around here who would like to help.
    Last edited by duncan drennan; 07-Jul-07 at 11:00 AM.
    [SIGPIC]Engineer Simplicity[/SIGPIC]
    Turn ideas into products | The Art of Engineering blog

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I was thinking an MBA might be an option. Maybe through UNISA.

Let us know if you go that route - I've been toying with the idea of doing it myself for a while now. Might be the push I need.

Thanks
    According to Robert Kiyosaki who was asked as what to study when you want to begin a business, his answer was not MBA, but to study accounting.

Intec College is also a distance learning institute which would maybe be of assistance to you...

Like Dave said, let us know what you do...

Silver Member
    Thanks
    Read, Read, Read!

For example: Business series written by Tony Manning.
    Strategic success by Clive Howe.

An absolutely fantastic book call Thinkertoys , Michael Michalko

Another one I enjoy is; innervation by Guy Browning - for the entrepreneur creativity.
    Snap, crackle or stop - Barara Quinn Career path and destiny! (Have a look at the publishers website www.yourmomentum.com)

E-Myth series - Small Business - Excellent and in my opinion vital for any person in their own business, really thought provoking!

Decide what skills and level of knowledge you need for your specific business -
    then make your decision.

My advice would be to focus on what "Excites" you and pay professional consultants for the rest.

However, StephanX is absolutely correct - finance and accounting - vital!
    Today labor law plays an enormous role as well.

A number of Unisa courses have modules which cover all aspects of business.
    Can you take additional modules based on your existing degree?
    For example: My daughter is doing a course for our company's particular needs : Explosives Management. (Forgotten the correct description of the degree!)
    Beside all the relevant modules to Explosive management the degree requires Accounting modules, Accounting for Marketers, Management Accounting, Management Principles, H.R., Computing etc.

There are so many options open to you.

Good luck
    Yvonne

Thanks
    Great choice of books suggested Yvonne!

Thanks
    Hi All

Thank you all for your advice I'm def going to do the finance and accounting side, cause as far as I'm concerned this is the back-bone to any business.

Thank you Yvonne for your suggestions on books etc. Unfortunately I don't believe there are any extra modules which I could use with my Degree, but its not a train smash.

Will keep u all posted on what happens

Chris

Did you like this article? Share it with your favourite social network.

Did you like this article? Share it with your favourite social network.