Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Shorts and Two tone shirt

Suspended
    Thanks

Shorts and Two tone shirt

I have another question. Last week a candidate came for an interview with us dressed in denim shorts, a two tone shirt, short socks with contractors boots. I would be interested to hear what people out there think about this.

To answer some of the things that might be brought up:
    Yes he has got the qualifications for the relevant job spec
    Yes we did interview him
    And yes we did then refer him on to the client, that same day (dressed the same)

How would you, if you were the client first of all expect a potential new employee to be dressed that you had to interview etc etc ?

Ps. I am not really interested in what the law says. I do not want this thread to go like the other thread.
    I know the law. I am asking for people's opinion.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Depends on the position. If he is being interviewed for a position as an accountant I would not be happy, if he was being interviewed for a position as a golfing range groundsman it would perfectly ok.

Suspended
    Thanks
    He was in actual fact being interviewed for an electrical engineers job. Do you think the client would be happy to see him arrive this way or would you not think that the client would think that he could not even bother to smarten up a bit, therefore he might not be that serious about the position ?

Thanks
    So if he gets the job then you know you can't judge a book by it's cover!
    Only stress when you can change the outcome!

Suspended
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by IanF View Post
    So if he gets the job then you know you can't judge a book by it's cover!
    Yes you are right Ian. But please just in case you were thinking this, I was not. I am just trying to get other peoples perspective out there. Times are changing.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    That how I dress everyday , living in Durban it is HOT...HOT and sweaty.

I went to a meeting with a new customer today, I could see I got the whole look me up and down not really consultant type dress code, but by the time the meeting was completed I think he realised I know my sh!t, what would you have a really well dressed idiot or a person who works in comfortable clothes and knows what he is talking about...you know my response to this question.

7. Thanks given for this post:

HR Solutions (02-Sep-13)

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    I think there is a bit more to it. One needs to dress appropriately for the occasion. The appropriate dress is not to necessarily make yourself look nice, it is generally more to show respect for the host, guests and the occasion. We wear sombre clothes to a funeral, formal clothes to a wedding, a smart outfit when you take your lady to a supper club (well at least I do...I don't want to embarrass her by me dressing like a twat when she did her level best to look her best)...etc.

The fact that the person feels comfortable in a speedo and plakkies does not mean that he should disrespect his host, which in this case happens to be the person interviewing him who probably expects a certain degree of curtsey and respect. I'd love to see him get into a swanky restaurant dressed like that, I bet he wouldn't even try!

Thanks
    "Denim shorts, a two tone shirt, short socks with contractors boots" its just his style, don't know if I could pull that look off. The way somebody is dressed affects our perception of that person, definitely. It is logical that your appearance should be appropriate for what you may be doing at the time. But obviously the way a person behaves, attitude, manners, intellect, skill ect is much more important. If that guy really does want the job he would change his jean pant if so wished by the employer.
    It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change. – Charles Darwin

Thanks
    I don't have an opinion so much as an observation. They say first impressions are everything.... but.... if you under dress and have got the personality, communication skills and the qualifications and knowledge to pull it off then it can actually work in your favour where it will be considered as an 'endearing quirk'. On the other hand if you don't have the entire package to go with it it could easily be your downfall. It's similar to that anti-hero thing where bad boy turned good will always be more popular than a plain old goodie two shoes

Suspended
    Thanks
    I think it will depend on if he can impress the client or not.
    Lol I will certainly keep you updated on what the client says and if he gets the job. ��

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Did you like this article? Share it with your favourite social network.

Did you like this article? Share it with your favourite social network.