Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Shorts and Two tone shirt

Thanks
    I think that how a person dresses does impact on the way we feel about ourselves as well as the impression that is made on others.

There is an interesting study on this found here:

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/...-man-literally

Having said this, however, it seems as though times are a-changing. No longer are people dressing up to go to the theatre, or to church, or even to wedding functions. Even if an invitation calls for dress as "black-tie" no one is turned away because they are not "dressed properly".

On the one hand it could be said that we are moving to a healthier outlook in that we need not dress for others and that they need to accept us as we are. Are we in the process of changing the acceptable norms of society or could it be that we are simply becoming disrespectful of others (and some may say even of ourselves)?
    No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. - Aesop "The Lion and the Mouse"

Thanks
    I have seen a CEO for a major corporation that came to a meeting dressed in a pair of denims and a golf shirt, it didn't detract from the fact that he knew his business, and moreover, he commanded attention. Lot's of other exec's around the table were commenting on his dress, but it soon became apparent that this was someone you wanted to listen to. Times have changed and "The clothes maketh the man" is an obsolete statement.

In my trade (Mechanical) I like to see a man/woman that looks like he/she, can and has, worked before. I once interviewed a mechanic who was dressed in his Sunday best at the interview, but his hands were rough and rugged, it showed that despite the dress, he was a worker, he eventually went on to take over one of the workshops that was problematic and he turned it around in a very short space.
    Today Defines Tomorrow
    Errare Humanum Est Remitto Divinus

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Let tell you about another incident which affected the outcome, I went to site to do a small job (was told a small job turns out it was the second biggest contract I have done since I started my business) little company with small team. I dress funny (shorts and Tee shirt sometimes) and I was told I have 2 weeks work(working on the pace of the contractor on site), I finished my little 2 week job in 3 days and left. I was the only person on site with short pants a Tee shirt and takkies. When I arrived on site I could see the expression on the boss mans face. When I left after the 3rd day, I thought I would never get work there again.

I was contacted a week later and I took over the project and ended up being one of the only contractors on site who completed on time, moral of the story don't be fooled the cover, if you an idiot with shorts on, you will still be an idiot wearing a suit.

Thanks
    "A monkey in silk is a monkey no less" - Rodrigeus
    Today Defines Tomorrow
    Errare Humanum Est Remitto Divinus

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Will you guys go to a funeral or a wedding in shorts and a t-shirt?

Suspended
    Thanks
    I see both sides to the scenario. Personally I do feel tho if you are going to an interview, you should dress appropriately. I do think that it is a respect thing. It is not only about you and how you feel you want to dress. You need to respect the person interviewing you and the whole process. If you are capable of doing the job you will then be able to show this in the interview. You don't really need to dress with shorts to prove that you are working on a site.

I do tho also agree with dave and Ians tho in the sense that if you are working like that everyday and you go to tender for example, you go how you work and people will soon see what you are all about.

Its all very tricky, because sometimes peoples perception of you might not be in your favour. I mean the consultant interviewing you might also get a different perception, and basically she is the first person you need to impress to go further.

Thanks
    If he came directly from a construction site I would say he was appropriately dressed.
    "Nobody who has succeeded has not failed along the way"
    Arianna Huffington

Read the first 10% of my books "Didymus" and "The BEAST of BIKO BRIDGE" for free
    You can also read and download 100% free my short stories "A Real Surprise" and "Pieces of Eight" at
    http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/332256

Thanks
    I dress relatively smart during the week, I wear steal capped shoes though. All and All I think I look rather handsome I also cant were my wedding ring because I am around machinery, I actually cant find the dam thing anymore, please dont tell my wife. I understand the importance of being presentable when dealing with clients. I will never interact with a client looking like Jack Parrow. I dress as good as I can for my business sake, but I wont wear stuff that is over the top or uncomfortable or impractical. Then when I am at home I take off my shoes, pants, long sleeve shirt and put on short pants, no shirt if its warm. I never wear shoes at home, shoes are very bad for your body, so kick them off under your desk guys and girls. I sometimes feel sorry for woman when they wear really uncomfortable shoes, especially if they on their feet the whole day.
    I once had a guy come in and see me for potential work, I knew from the moment I saw him I could not employ him. He had multiple facial piercings and long hair hidden under a beanie. He looked like a 27 straight out of Pilsmore prison ek se. If I owned a grunge club I would have probably hired him.
    It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change. – Charles Darwin

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Its all about time, place and respect!

Thanks
    What are you wearing right now Adrian? I bet you have a safari suit on with a quill in the hat and comb in the sock
    It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change. – Charles Darwin

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Did you like this article? Share it with your favourite social network.

Did you like this article? Share it with your favourite social network.