Thread: Cellphone lockout for Vodacom strikers.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries

Cellphone lockout for Vodacom strikers.

Citing "no work, no pay and no benefits," Vodacom has blocked strikers from making calls on their fringe benefit packages.
    Striking Vodacom employees were outraged that the company had blocked their cellphones, the Communication Workers Union (CWU) said on Friday.

This came after the service provider blocked the strikers' cellphones, citing a "no work, no pay, and no benefits" policy.

CWU spokesperson Mfanafuthi Sithebe said: "Vodacom confirms our long held view that the company has employed reactionary expatriates with no knowledge of the labour laws and the supreme law of the country."

He hoped Vodacom would not extend its "no benefits" policy and cut off medical aid as well.

Vodacom spokesperson Dot Field said on Thursday that strikers had been locked out.

Field said the cellphones were not blocked and the workers were free to insert their own SIM cards into the handsets.
    full story from M&G here
    A stroke of genius, I reckon.

Thanks
    I canned myself when I saw this on the news last night
    Last edited by duncan drennan; 07-Jul-07 at 10:24 AM.
    [SIGPIC]Engineer Simplicity[/SIGPIC]
    Turn ideas into products | The Art of Engineering blog

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I can just imagine...

"Let's organise everyone to protest outside the Vodacom service centre at x mall. Pass me my cellphone so I can call everyone up to get there."

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I see the Vodacom strike continues. This story gives some background.
    The CWU's demands include recognition of the union, fair trade-union representation for workers at disciplinary hearings, leave for trade-union activities, and for the union's conditional recognition to be replaced by unconditional recognition.

The union's main grievance is Vodacom's failure to recognise it as a collective bargaining agent and a representative of its workers.

Vodacom has stated that the union will only be recognised when it holds a 30% membership, as set out by the Labour Relations Act and case law. The union currently had just less than 10%, it said. "Vodacom does not believe the CWU's accusations are valid."

The union disputes this. CWU spokesperson Mfanafuthi Sithebe said there are 1 325 union members out of just more than 2 200 employees at Vodacom.

He added that Vodacom agreed to a forensic audit to clarify the figures. Field confirmed that the audit is currently taking place by a company appointed by the union, and said preliminary figures confirm the union membership at just less than 10%.
    full story from M&G here

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Respect for rule of law.

A somewhat disturbing paradigm is emerging from the labour movement.
    The Communications Workers' Union (CWU) will continue with its protests outside Vodacom premises, the union said on Thursday.

CWU spokesperson Mfanafuthi Sithebe said the union would defy the interim interdict granted to Vodacom to prevent striking workers from entering, interfering with or obstructing access to the company premises.

On Wednesday, the Labour Court extended the interdict to Friday when it will deliver a final decision on whether the interim interdict would be made permanent.

Sithebe said the union respected state organs and the rule of law, but would defy the interdict as it pushed a certain agenda.
    full story from M&G here

Thanks
    Shades of John Galt / Atlas Shrugged?

Sieg

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    It's dysfunctional. In the same sentence for crying out loud. Most people at least take a breath before contradicting themselves.

Did you like this article? Share it with your favourite social network.

Did you like this article? Share it with your favourite social network.