Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Born to do business

Thanks
    You know I was just thinking, since you’re in the art industry Adrian, why not go see art departments and go have some tea. See if you can find artists whose art you like, art that can be produced by your CNC and other plants/equipment, a symbiotic relationship between the artist and the chief. Perhaps you should set up your own internship program. One that allows for selected students to partake in certain projects. The university scores by having their art students’ work on projects outside of what they may offer, the student scores by getting practical experience and perhaps some cash, you score by having talented people of your choosing making you richer in all the definitions of the word.
    It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change. – Charles Darwin

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    I do a lot of work for students already, mostly laser cutting but I have actually done entire projects...yes yes I know I'm not supposed to but when a pretty girl comes along with her knickers in a knot stressing about being able to glue two pieces of wood together...what can you do.

The one project that comes to mind was a girl who had to present a architecture thesis. She was in a mess and so was her documentation. I ended up cleaning up and reformatting the documentation, doing all the 2D plans, doing a full 3D model so that she could render her ideas in 3D Max and I also built a full architectural model for her. I made funny money from it and I learned a valuable lesson - other peoples problems are not my problem....

...correction - Unless I make serious money from helping them sort out their problems...

I have a good relationship with the Cape Craft And Design Institute, they often send people to me who need help.

I make my workshop available to the students so if they want to build their projects they are welcome to do it here, some have but most just take their parts and run.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by adrianh View Post
    ...yes yes I know I'm not supposed to but when a pretty girl comes along with her knickers in a knot stressing about being able to glue two pieces of wood together...what can you do.
    Shut up Adrian, all I have is my sturdy maid at the office most of the time
    It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change. – Charles Darwin

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Let me enlighten you on lateral creative thinking at its absolute best. Ok, so I need to get a camera to take pretty pictures of model trains and of course of my daughters doing horse riding and ice skating. Now you see, the DM says that it is the perfect hobby for my, its technical and artistic...cool I agree.

She has inadvertently given me carte blanche to take photographs of all sorts of pretty things...for their artistic value of course...

Thanks
    She has inadvertently given me carte blanche to take photographs of all sorts of pretty things...for their artistic value of course...
    You have been given the light, now shine it!

You go on then Adrian... I applaud your efforts and I want to see your carte blanche, Capture some of your observations, whether it be the pleb, yuppy or golf widow. I want to see how Rome looks like lately, we are in the lesser part of the empire here, less advanced, less taste, somewhat vulgar compared to Cape Town.

Thanks
    I make my workshop available to the students so if they want to build their projects they are welcome to do it here, some have but most just take their parts and run.
    Formalize the process whereby you end up with a model that works well. Having good art student’s pays dividend in the long run. Intern-Return-Business as such, as you know. Perhaps formalization is the way to go with regards to internship, if feasible off course.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    hmm...its about time I go about town pointing my lens at pretty things...

I will report my findings!

Thanks

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123