Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: A new chapter begins...

Platinum Member sterne.law@gmail.com's Avatar
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Bon jour
    Anthony Sterne

www.acumenholdings.co.za
    DISCLAIMER The above is merely a comment in discussion form and an open public arena. It does not constitute a legal opinion or professional advice in any manner or form.

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Greetings... from Sweden!

After 4 years, I wondered where to start when writing this post, but I suppose my current location is as good as anything!

I am currently writing this from Gothenburg, Sweden, where I am living for the next 5 months while on secondment! It is so refreshing to be in a different place, learning about other cultures and experiencing first world, first hand.
    The side effect is it also makes one realise how wonderful South Africa is. We really have a lot going for us. More on Sweden soon!

The secondment arose because I have now officially finished my articles at PwC, passed both board exams and been admitted by SAICA as a CA(SA). 8 long years and a few thousand hours of ticking and bashing, but we got there eventually!

Oddly enough, I applied successfully to stay on as a manager at PwC Durban and had been working in that role for most of this year before traveling to Gothenburg. The plan is to stay in Durban until early 2019 before looking to the U.S.
    As an entrepreneur at heart, I never imagined myself wanting to stay in an auditing firm, but the job as a manager (contrary to that of an article clerk) has many exciting elements that I am taking full advantage of before I depart from the profession. So I guess what I'm saying - knowing full well the rolling of eyes that this will prompt - is that I'm an auditor and I don't hate my job!
    I am writing a blog post on this, so more on this too!

In the last 4 years I have learned an incredible amount about business, networking, the reasons for some of our own businesses failing and - most importantly - myself. I get to work with hundreds of truly gifted, charismatic and enthusiastic people day-in and day-out. The thrill of truly adding value and making a difference (whether training and mentoring those less experienced or solving the problems of colleagues and clients) is thoroughly rewarding. Having people to measure myself against has also helped me understand the intricacies of time and stress management, productivity and efficiency in such a way that I have consistently been able to achieve a desirable work-life balance despite working in what most would refer to as an unsustainable profession. (Within the Big Four anyway)

I've been privileged to work on a broad range of clients (listed, private, family-owned, non-profits) across multiple industries (automotive, shipping, foods, manufacturing, retail, etc) which has really expanded my general knowledge across industries.

Regarding Red Giant Design - my partner and I decided to go our separate ways so that he could gain experience in a larger agency and I could focus on my career which was at that time taking all of my time. It was an amicable split for the business and my only regret is not being able to find a decent buyer for the brand/site.

I feel like I have so many stories to tell and knowledge to share. I have, for this reason, started a personal blog (as I promised to do years ago) where I infrequently write about whatever inspires me. It's pretty bare at the moment but I have some cool content planned!

If you're interested here's the link: Mark My Words
    If you subscribe you'll get an email when I post something new. (Nothing else)

Otherwise, a post here could never do justice to the four years worth of time which has passed. There is just too much.

In my next year or two I am planning to play around with investing in various forms - some speculative, some value-based stock trading and the odd stab in the dark at USD-driven income via drop-shipping websites (hey, you never know until you try)
    Would be great to know if we've got any active discussions in this department that I could contribute to!

Please ask any questions you might have. I'm sure I have left out a ton of detail.

It's good to be back!

3. Thank given for this post:

AmithS (08-Nov-17), Dave A (01-Nov-17), Justloadit (01-Nov-17), Mike C (01-Nov-17)

Thanks
    Thanks for keeping in touch and great to hear you're heading onwards and no doubt upwards.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234