Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: A new chapter begins...

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Thank you all for the well-wishes and all the kind words. I've dealt with many of you in the business world and others only online. I can only hope that I've come across as the kind of person I endeavoured to be.

The next step of the journey should be extremely interesting from a learning perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by IanF View Post
    I would like to see your next venture combining accounting graphic and web design.
    Funny you should mention that Ian. I firmly believe that part of the reason Red Giant has been so successful is that we were able to introduce a more analytical approach to branding and marketing. When branding is backed by numbers it starts to make a whole lot more sense. That's why Conversion Rate Optimisation (CRO) and Analytics are so big in the US - design becomes more than just aesthetic appeal. SA is slowly catching on, but we're still quite a way behind.

As for a more literal combination of accounting and design - I'm not sure what the finished product would be but it'd certainly be a good idea to keep it in mind.

One thing I have been contemplating is starting a personal blog along these lines:

I have a somewhat unique opportunity to enter a highly regulated, professional, numbers-oriented field after having spent a few years making a living in a creative industry with no barriers to entry. In my time at Red Giant, I've established certain expectations and perceptions of the business world. Since I have no experience yet in auditing and big corporates, I'm pretty sure that several of my perceptions and expectations are going to be way off the mark.

I think it might be interesting reading (and interesting writing) if I wrote a blog post about this "new venture." I'd be happy to detail any paradigm shifts and draw parallels on any level possible between my experience in big business and my experience in a more informal space.

Of course it may turn out that I have no real subject matter if I find that my expectations are met, but that's not very likely. Does anybody have any thoughts on this? Would it be interesting reading or would I be talking to the trees, for lack of a better expression? (I don't actually mind writing for nobody, but it's always nice to know if people are actually enjoying what you write).

If all else fails, I'd still be happy to update you all periodically here.

Platinum Member sterne.law@gmail.com's Avatar
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    All the best with boards and the new path.
    The blog may prove intriguing. As generalizations go, accountants are not supposed to be terribly creative. Add in the freedom of your own business vs a highly structured proffesion and it should be intriguing.
    What it should boil down to, in theory, is that the same business principles are relevant, no matter what the business or the size thereof, and therein lies the rub and essential learning tool.
    Anthony Sterne

www.acumenholdings.co.za
    DISCLAIMER The above is merely a comment in discussion form and an open public arena. It does not constitute a legal opinion or professional advice in any manner or form.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    With the right attitude anything is possible, you have the right attitude, look forward to reading many more success stories.

Thanks
    Of course it may turn out that I have no real subject matter if I find that my expectations are met, but that's not very likely. Does anybody have any thoughts on this? Would it be interesting reading or would I be talking to the trees, for lack of a better expression? (I don't actually mind writing for nobody, but it's always nice to know if people are actually enjoying what you write).
    I think that you write very well. I like your style and approach to the subject you are writing about. I, for one, would love to read a blog of your experiences.
    No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. - Aesop "The Lion and the Mouse"

Thanks
    Well it's all been said. Congratulations on the success of Red Giant and I suspect this is just the beginning of what you can achieve. All the best for what I'm sure will be a bright future.

Thanks
    As an accountant you are supposed to see two columns of figures separated by a thin black line, but as a business owner you know that the line is a wide grey one.
    All the best and hurry back to the world of entrepreneurship as soon as your articles are over.
    "Nobody who has succeeded has not failed along the way"
    Arianna Huffington

Read the first 10% of my books "Didymus" and "The BEAST of BIKO BRIDGE" for free
    You can also read and download 100% free my short stories "A Real Surprise" and "Pieces of Eight" at
    http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/332256

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I've had a couple messages enquiring about where I've been and how things were going, so I thought I'd just throw out a quick update for anyone who's interested.

I wrote what were certainly the most difficult exams I've ever written and even managed to get myself a bout of food poisoning just in time for one of them! The waiting period for results from UNISA is ridiculous (about 45 days) and the stress has a way of mounting pretty quickly as you near the release date.

Seems the stress was all for nothing, though. I did pass all 5 of those horrid six-hour exams and even managed to net myself a top 10 position in SA for my efforts. (Shameless brag!) I really wasn't expecting that, particularly after I ignored many warnings from PwC not to continue to run a business this year, so it was a happy surprise.

2013 has been a very trying year in several ways, so I'm thrilled to finally be done with varsity and moving into another world.

Just the little hurdle of the board exam to get through now.

Thanks for all the words of encouragement and support! All my friends, family and even our clients have been so accommodating and supportive throughout the entire year. It's nice to know that young guys can try to "do it all" without being held back too much.

Thanks
    Well done Mark! You are one of those people I just know will go right to the top. You punch way above your age (23), most people that age are stuffing around looking cool in the club. You did not mention Cum Laude, but I can faithfully assume you got it (“Top 10”). Dream Big!...don’t let anybody say it can’t be done, you know it can. You got something special inside you, follow your instincts.

One small piece of humble advice I would like to dispense with is this: Please please don’t get sucked into corporate, at least not for too long.

I wish you the best of luck with your future endeavours.
    Keep us posted
    It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change. – Charles Darwin

9. Thanks given for this post:

Mark Atkinson (20-Nov-13)

Thanks
    Congrats Mark. I am glad that it is working out for you ... you work hard, so you deserve it.

Thanks for keeping us posted.
    No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. - Aesop "The Lion and the Mouse"

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Well done Mark.

12. Thanks given for this post:

Mark Atkinson (20-Nov-13)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast