Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My take on FNB and the need for a backup bank!

Thanks

Angry My take on FNB and the need for a backup bank!

So I was finally zapped by the Bank incompetence this morning, I bank with FNB.

I was on my way to a customer and it is a 1 hour trip each way. My car was empty and I stop to fill up. I spend R460 and then hand my petro card to the attendant only to be told transaction declined. So I then give him my cheque card which was also declined.

So I phone FNB and am told that my cards are on hold as they are waiting for proof of address, and transfer me to a premier banker. Then I get told I need to come into the bank and give them proof of address, so I explain nicely that I can't as I have to pay for petrol and my cards are blocked so I can't even draw cash to do this. They then say hold on and they will phone back. About 45 minutes later they phone back and say they have found my proof of address and the lady who had it forgot to capture it. But I have to wait 10 minutes for the hold to be lifted. All this time I have the attendant jumping up and down as he says the cash comes out of his salary if I don't pay. They finally phone back and say that all is good to go. And they will have disciplinary against the staff member.

There was lots of swearing from my side to get my point across that I was hopping mad.

Now I will be moving some money etc. to another bank so I don't get caught in this incompetence and never land in this humiliating position again. I will look at Capitec tomorrow and see what they offer. Service etc. normally isn't bad from FNB but guard against incompetence just like we need cell phones for when Telkom is down.
    Only stress when you can change the outcome!

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    What is this bullshit with the banks and FICA? They are going totally overboard! All they are doing is tying their staff up on useless activities in stead of serving customers. What do they do with all the paper that they generate?

I have also received requests from FNB asking for documents. Apparently they have to get updates every 3 years - says WHO? The documents were e-mailed to them the same day, only for me to get another call a month later requesting the same stuff!!!

I have learned not to fight the system unless it is really necessary, but the time has now come for us consumers to make our voices heard. The banks have electronic systems to monitor exceptions and unusual activity on accounts. They can easily pick up on money laundering and kite flying etc. Collecting pieces of paper from individuals is a useless activity that serves no purpose.
    Excellence is not a skill; its an attitude...

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    It's not the banks, it is the government with another rediculous law with FICA.

If they know everything about everybody, howcome there is still fraud by scmasters?
    Victor - Knowledge is a blessing or a curse, your current circumstances make you decide!
    Solar pumping, Solar Geyser & Solar Security lighting solutions - www.microsolve.co.za

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    If you rely on one bank, you can get stuck for other reasons too.

Just last Saturday I was trying to pay for a purchase on my Standard Bank credit card, and it was declined for "invalid credit card number".
    So my son who was with me whips out his credit card (also Standard Bank)- same result.
    So I try my Diners Club - and through it goes with no problem.

Coincidently is was an FNB credit card machine, but in this context that probably should be viewed as merely coincidental. My guess is that FNB and Standard weren't talking to each other at that particular moment - although which party wasn't coming to the party, your guess is as good as mine.

Thanks
    I have twice had similar incidents with ABSA. The last time they lifted the hold immediately (the person that i spoke to remembered that i had re-submitted all the docs. about four months previously) and said that they would find out what the problem was and get back to me. Six weeks later and still waiting.

Thanks
    This has given me a big wake up and have just come back from Capitec and opened an account there. Took a while and they offer a great interest rate.
    What got me is they phone me back and say they have proof of residence and will update my accounts.
    FNB phoned me when I was driving home and I asked them to rather phone me on Monday so lets see what they have to say if they do phone.
    What is interesting is this is not limited to FNB.

Thanks
    I'm afraid that this was a shocking of a shambles of customer service! They put you as the client at great inconvenience and also infringed upon your right to dignity and respect as any reasonable person will feel embarrassed in such a situation.

Shocking of a shambles
    “Ubuntu is the essence of being humane" Desmond Tutu
    Spelling mistakes and/or typographical errors I found in leading publications.
    Click here
    sabbaticus

Bronze Member
    Thanks
    Our business deals with most of the banks and we have accounts at 3 of the big banks.All of the banks need to spend their marketing budget on service delivery and try keep customers rather than losing the existing ones.

Where is Steve when you need him......

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by roryf View Post
    Where is Steve when you need him......

Hi Roryf

I completely missed the 'Steve from ... Bank' punch line. It appropriately brilliant in this context!
    “Ubuntu is the essence of being humane" Desmond Tutu
    Spelling mistakes and/or typographical errors I found in leading publications.
    Click here
    sabbaticus

Thanks
    I am still waiting for the promised call back from FNB but Monday isn't over.
    My capitec account is now operative so I will test run it to make sure it works so I have a working backup.
    Why can't the banks use this FICA positively instead of cutting you off from your own money?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast