Bradley Manning was recently sentenced to 35 years for the biggest leak of secrets in US history.

He now plans to live as a female and has a chosen name: Chelsea. Well that’s his right and the civil groups will have a field day with the authorities, especially seeing that he also applied for a presidential pardon from Barack Obama.

He apparently announced the decision yesterday in a written statement. In such statement he requests hormonal treatment to assist the transition. If he wasn’t in jail, he could have made this choice and if he had the means paid for it. He is now a sentenced convict. He wants and expects at the State expense that they fund the entire process from initial hormonal treatment through to completion.

He said in such statement "As I transition into this next phase of my life, I want everyone to know the real me. I am Chelsea Manning. I am a female. Given the way that I feel, and have felt since childhood, I want to begin hormone therapy as soon as possible,"

He even has a military posted photo of him dressed as a woman with a wig and lipstick. The thing is the military in the US have never had to deal with such a matter before.

“Fort Leavenworth is an all-male prison. But the staff has some leeway to separate soldiers from the other inmates based on the risk to themselves and others, prison spokesman George Marcec said.”

My only thoughts are that this is a bizarre twist of events in such a huge USA case against one of its own.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-201_162-...named-chelsea/