Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can local manufacturing save our economy?

Thanks
    Blog Entries

Can local manufacturing save our economy?

It is general knowledge that manufacturing creates jobs. Not just sweepers and labourers, but sustainable jobs where people are trained with specific skills. Unfortunately we are losing those skills as we have done away with apprenticeships and also import far too much at the expense of our local factories.

I found this article interesting as it comments on the youth unemployment rate in the USA. They have nothing, compared to the 50% or thereabouts youth unemployment that we have.

http://www.linkedin.com/today/post/a...eleb-eas-link2

Once a country loses its manufacturing skills it is doomed.
    Last edited by Dave A; 20-Aug-13 at 09:29 PM. Reason: fixed link
    Excellence is not a skill; its an attitude...

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Blurock View Post
    Once a country loses its manufacturing skills it is doomed.
    Or as in our case, overly reliant on our resources (which admittedly will have an end point somewhere along the line).

I agree manufacturing capacity and manufacturing skills is an incredible economic driver, but I wouldn't ignore agriculture as an alternative driver. Or tourism. Plenty of countries do quite well out of those too.

My personal view is it's crazy for us to pick and choose - we've got the potential to drive and deliver in all these areas...

But, there is no state funding for this training. We are paying the cost ourselves. We believe it’s a smart investment in the long-term success of our company. The investment we make pays off in a workforce of long-term, highly dedicated, highly skilled employees.
    Funnily enough, I've been shaping up a blog entry on this very subject. Watch out for "Why every business needs a duck factory" - coming soon.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    The strongest economies in the world are built on manufacturing. China, Japan, Korea, Germany etc. The USA has realised that they are exporting jobs by outsourcing every possible manufacturing function and are bringing a great number of manufacturing jobs back on-shore.

South Africa has much to learn from these countries and the government should invest much more in re-industrialising and less on party politics.

Agriculture is the backbone of any country and is also a source of employment. Also important due to food security. Unfortunately very basic skills are required in the labour market, whereas manufacturing jobs mostly require higher and more technical skills which are more sustainable and has higher earning power.

Tourism is the duty of every citizen; even if just to make tourists feel welcome. Tourism also create jobs in support functions such as transport, hospitality etc. However, apart from tour operators, owners of establishments etc, the lowly skilled waiters and cleaners also do not earn much.
    Excellence is not a skill; its an attitude...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Blurock View Post
    Tourism is the duty of every citizen; even if just to make tourists feel welcome.

political chinwagging cant help these chaps
    here fishy fishy…

Thanks
    During an inflight impromptu meeting between myself & the then cabinet minister - Nkonde Balfour - on a flight from East London, SA to Jhb, SA - some 15 years ago - questions were raised in regards to future job creation in South Africa & how the ANC was gearing up to address it.

NB's answer was:
    The poor people need to come to us with their ideas
    My reply:
    The poor people are where they are because either they do not have the required ideas to move the nation forwards, or education, finances, coaches. Something more tangible has to be done
    1. Create vision
    1.1 Government-sponsored think-tanks.
    1.2 Discover what is uniquely South African.

2. Develop action plans
    2.1 Develop an action plan to fully exploit & leverage this unique position.

3. Seek assistance
    3.1 International & local sponsors to support the new direction.

4. Build local support capability
    4.1 Develop required skills - professional, trades...

An offer was made that I could discuss the matter further with him, at any time. Nkonde's gold-foil on white business card e-mail address bounced when I attempted to follow up on our meeting!

Final outcome : Zero
    In search of South African Technology Nuggets(R), for sale & trading in South East Asia.

Thanks
    Manufacturing can conribute HUGELY to our economy.

Problem is

- untrained people cannot do what is necessary

- People thrilled to get jobs for a month or two - then join the strikes for more benefits and money without any rise in productivity

- companies are scared to hire people because of potential strikes, and inability to fire if the staff member does not prove to be effective.

As a result more and more mechanisation is happening, stopping job creation as it is safer to do it by machine.

7. Thanks given for this post:

HR Solutions (25-Aug-13)

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Cooper View Post

Problem is

- untrained people cannot do what is necessary

- People thrilled to get jobs for a month or two - then join the strikes for more benefits and money without any rise in productivity

- companies are scared to hire people because of potential strikes, and inability to fire if the staff member does not prove to be effective.

As a result more and more mechanisation is happening, stopping job creation as it is safer to do it by machine.
    Absolutely.
    I am in a similar situation, on the verge of getting substantial orders, and my immediate thought is how to do the order with out employing a single soul more in my organization on a permanent basis. Mechanization, with short term contracts, where I simply do not employ the person who has worked for me again for at least a year after their contract expires. This can be done due to the high number of unemplyed looking for work.

The labour laws just make employment a nightmare. One will always be taken to CCMA, even if procedurely correct, and yes you win the case, but the cost to fight and time wasted is just not worth employing anyone on a permanent basis.
    Victor - Knowledge is a blessing or a curse, your current circumstances make you decide!
    Solar pumping, Solar Geyser & Solar Security lighting solutions - www.microsolve.co.za

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Justloadit View Post
    Absolutely.
    I am in a similar situation, on the verge of getting substantial orders, and my immediate thought is how to do the order with out employing a single soul more in my organization on a permanent basis. Mechanization, with short term contracts, where I simply do not employ the person who has worked for me again for at least a year after their contract expires. This can be done due to the high number of unemplyed looking for work.

The labour laws just make employment a nightmare. One will always be taken to CCMA, even if procedurely correct, and yes you win the case, but the cost to fight and time wasted is just not worth employing anyone on a permanent basis.
    I have given away old duplicating machines, no one wanted to buy them, and use digital copiers now. Slightly more expensive but all I do now is hit print check a proof copy and run the rest.
    BTW anyone want to buy a 10 bin collator?
    I wonder will we be able to get back to motivated employees?
    Only stress when you can change the outcome!

Thanks
    Phil Cooper:
    Only if there is a external market to sell into.

People (country) don't (doesn't) pay themselves (its people) to take in their own washing.

JustLoadIt:
    One arm fighting with the other arm while taking in your own washing.

IanF:
    I wonder will we be able to get back to motivated employees?
    When they get hungry & the rules of washing removal become sensible.
    In search of South African Technology Nuggets(R), for sale & trading in South East Asia.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    I have managed to find enough work to keep 2 to 3 teams busy, finding the work is the easy part, finding the right people to do the work is the challenge. Between smoking and social media, I would need the teams to work a 12 hour day to make up all the lost time, when I mentioned this to my staff they find it rather amusing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast