Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Avaaz and e tolling

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks

E-Tolls Again...

I have signed the Avaaz petition to prevent the e-tolling of Gauteng's freeways, the link is below.

Although I am not entirely against tolling, the ridiculous "get-rich-quick" prices that are imposed on an already tight economy are just not acceptable, if they were asking for a R0.03c or R0.04c per Km it would be a more reasonable request, after all, once the tolling is in place it will never stop and the price will just keep increasing, even after the debt is paid-up.

https://secure.avaaz.org/en/south_africa_etoll/?copy
    Today Defines Tomorrow
    Errare Humanum Est Remitto Divinus

2. Thank given for this post:

Citizen X (14-Aug-13), wynn (14-Aug-13)

Thanks

Avaaz and e tolling

follow this link and get as many people you know to also follow and help get rid of e tolling?

https://secure.avaaz.org/en/south_africa_etoll/?copy

President Zuma:
    We call on you not to sign the Transport Laws and Related Matters Amendment Bill, which was developed and written without proper transparency with the public. E-tolls on Gauteng's freeways are a burden to taxpayers who can't afford the tolls, but need the roads to go about their lives and get to their jobs. We urge you to kill the e-toll bill.
    "Nobody who has succeeded has not failed along the way"
    Arianna Huffington

Read the first 10% of my books "Didymus" and "The BEAST of BIKO BRIDGE" for free
    You can also read and download 100% free my short stories "A Real Surprise" and "Pieces of Eight" at
    http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/332256

Thanks
    Oops! I also posted the avaaz link in another post, probably best because more people will click away
    "Nobody who has succeeded has not failed along the way"
    Arianna Huffington

Read the first 10% of my books "Didymus" and "The BEAST of BIKO BRIDGE" for free
    You can also read and download 100% free my short stories "A Real Surprise" and "Pieces of Eight" at
    http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/332256

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wynn View Post
    Oops! I also posted the avaaz link in another post, probably best because more people will click away
    Or someone from the admin team might merge the two threads

Thanks
    Signed

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	made_at_www_txt2pic_com.jpg 
Views:	312 
Size:	40.3 KB 
ID:	3832
    “Ubuntu is the essence of being humane" Desmond Tutu
    Spelling mistakes and/or typographical errors I found in leading publications.
    Click here
    sabbaticus

Thanks
    Although I am not entirely against tolling,

Actually I am totally against any form of tolling - makes no difference to me whether it's electronic or the 'drive up to the toll-gate' method. I don't see why I have to pay three times for my having to use the road. Firstly my road licence, then a portion of my income tax and then a fkn e-toll! Once again the guavament went ahead without consultation and thought we are morons who would be intimidated and that we'd simply pay up. Latest idiotic proposals: ban all alcohol advertising;(advertising hardly increases sales) ban alcohol sales on Sunday; (people will buy on Saturdays) enforce a zero limit if you drive; (Catholics will no longer be able to have Communion wine) make purchasing used spares from scrap-yards illegal; (close dozens of scrapyards who do not sell junk (only 'used' in most cases) and increase unemployment); ban smoking everywhere (virtually impossible - Prohibition in the States did little to stop the distilling and consumption of liquor).
    I'm off the topic but basically I've pointed out that just recently (and over the years), countless proposals have emanated from the ANC and if they're not around any more (the proposals) it's because they were unworkable and were scrapped.

Let's continue the pressure re: E Tolling. If we do, it will eventually be scrapped because the ANC will finally realise that it's an unworkable system that will cost more to collect and operate than it's worth. They will have little choice but to find other means to sort out the Pension Fund mess that they created when they decided to borrow from it to put up guarantees to Kapsch Austria to finance the system.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Didditmiself View Post
    I don't see why I have to pay three times for my having to use the road. Firstly my road licence, then a portion of my income tax and then a fkn e-toll!
    You left out the road levy built into the fuel price, which is far from chicken feed either

9. Thanks given for this post:

Chrisjan B (16-Aug-13)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Didditmiself View Post
    Actually I am totally against any form of tolling - makes no difference to me whether it's electronic or the 'drive up to the toll-gate' method. I don't see why I have to pay three times for my having to use the road. Firstly my road licence, then a portion of my income tax and then a fkn e-toll! Once again the guavament went ahead without consultation and thought we are morons who would be intimidated and that we'd simply pay up. Latest idiotic proposals: ban all alcohol advertising;(advertising hardly increases sales) ban alcohol sales on Sunday; (people will buy on Saturdays) enforce a zero limit if you drive; (Catholics will no longer be able to have Communion wine) make purchasing used spares from scrap-yards illegal; (close dozens of scrapyards who do not sell junk (only 'used' in most cases) and increase unemployment); ban smoking everywhere (virtually impossible - Prohibition in the States did little to stop the distilling and consumption of liquor).
    I'm off the topic but basically I've pointed out that just recently (and over the years), countless proposals have emanated from the ANC and if they're not around any more (the proposals) it's because they were unworkable and were scrapped.

Let's continue the pressure re: E Tolling. If we do, it will eventually be scrapped because the ANC will finally realise that it's an unworkable system that will cost more to collect and operate than it's worth. They will have little choice but to find other means to sort out the Pension Fund mess that they created when they decided to borrow from it to put up guarantees to Kapsch Austria to finance the system.
    I digress, you are quite right, we do pay too much tax in the form of tolls, levies, etc. The other problem I see is that the tolls they want just don't bare any relationship to other tolls, for instance, a trip from JHB to DBN will set you back R174 (I think that was the figure) over a distance of 600Kms, and these are privately managed highways. In the same breath a trip of 40Kms in Gauteng will set you back around R88.00, if not more? and these are gobblemunt managed highways.

You've changed my mind, I am totally against tolling in any form. If our gobblemunt weren't so "hell bent" on STEALING from the COUNTRY, they would have enough money to build highways and wouldn't need additional tolls, levies, and taxes...
    Today Defines Tomorrow
    Errare Humanum Est Remitto Divinus

11. Thanks given for this post:

Chrisjan B (17-Aug-13)

Thanks
    From what I have heard the government's pension fund is in the etoll system.
    If the etoll collapses, the government's pension fund collapses.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Hermes14 View Post
    From what I have heard the government's pension fund is in the etoll system.
    That might explain something. The other day I heard mention that the civil servants pension fund's liquid reserve is much lower than it should be just at the moment.

The official response was - No cause for alarm. But it does make you wonder...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast