I was under the impression that if I didn't respond to an email to renew a contract, because I don't want to renew it, it would just automatically be terminated. I thought this was one of the new consumer protection act laws.

Not so, according to Hetzner, they apparently have a clause in their contract or an email they send to you, which states you have to give notice. So because I decided I no longer needed a website domain name, I am being sued for outstanding fees and penalties. I will not be able to purchase a domain name or any other services from them and I will be blacklisted with ITC.

I will pay the outstanding R79 and sort out this issue because I have other websites and want to replace this one which I will have to pay for another year and give notice now so that I don't get caught again, if I forget.

They have also informed me that I cannot just change the name to the one I want to use, I must register and pay for another name.

I thought I would just warn other people who might think you could just leave it, makes sure you give notice otherwise you gona be in for a nasty surprise.