Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FINDING A REGISTED CONTRACTOR

Thanks

FINDING A REGISTED CONTRACTOR

Hello
    Can someone please recommend a registered contractor in the Secunda area. We have had 3 different local companies in to do various work in our house and not one of them has been able to do the work in one appointment. They are out at least two or three times to rectify stupid mistakes they make and none of them have issued a COC even after repeated requests. Anyway we are at the point now where we feel we should get all the house checked over since we don't feel very confident
    of their abilities. We have looked online and the ESA list two companies but when I put their number in the ECB register they come up blank , so I'm at a loss about how to find someone since I can't find contractors on the DoL website either.
    In the event someone can suggest a company how much can we expect to pay for the inspection and issue of the COC. I understand any work to be rectified would be extra.

Thanks in advance
    Fedup

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    If they're listed on the ECA website, they should be properly registered contractors.

The ECB website might not have all registered contractors on their database anymore (a problem that is probably only going to get worse over time).
    The DoL hasn't provided an online facility that allows one to check if a contractor is properly registered - and at this time there is no sign that this will change anytime soon.

Don't know what else to say other than "good luck - hope it goes better next time around"

Thanks
    I can see there's going to be more and more people in your predicament, as far as I know at the moment there is no accurate and conclusive list of registered and legal electrical contractors. I would advise two things, firstly make it clear to any contractor you phone that you expect them to provide a Certificate of Compliance at least for the alterations and additions they're about to do and they're not going to get paid until the work is complete and the cert is in your hand. Secondly speak to your local electrical wholesalers and see if you can get them to recommend a licensed and reliable contractor.
    I'm loathed to wish you good luck because luck shouldn't be playing a part in finding a contractor but I fear you're going to need some anyway so good luck.

Thanks
    I might also suggest that you ask to see the registation certificate and accreditation certificate of whoever comes to do the work. The Registration Certificate is issued by the dept. of labour and proves the contractor to be registered as a contractor. The accreditation certificate is a drivers license type ID card also issued by DOL to show that you have a suitably qualified person on your premises to do the work, not just an assistant sparky from one of our northern neighbours. It is a legal requirement that whoever works on the installation have an accreditation cetificate or be working under the direct supervision of someone who does have one so he must still be on the premises.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparks View Post
    It is a legal requirement that whoever works on the installation have an accreditation cetificate or be working under the direct supervision of someone who does have one so he must still be on the premises.
    Last time I checked, the regs didn't state direct or on-site supervision. In fact if I recall correctly the phrase used was general supervision.

Has this changed?

Thanks
    I guess while I do not recall the exact wording, it would still be stretching it a bit far to be under a person's supervision if they not "on site". I could very well be "general" supervision in the regs, but I still would not accept an invisible supervisor.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Just checked and it gets worse. The phrase is "general control", which implies a less direct level than "supervision" - arguably closer to management than supervision.

S5.4 of Notice No. R. 242, 6 March 2009 made under the Occupational Health and Safety Act, 1993, a.k.a the ELECTRICAL INSTALLATION REGULATIONS:

A registered person shall exercise general control over all electrical installation work being carried out, and no person may allow such work without such control.
    Obviously the registered person remains responsible for the actions of those persons under his/her general control.
    Last edited by Dave A; 26-Sep-13 at 09:48 AM.

Bronze Member
    Thanks
    Just remember you can't get a coc for the alteration if the rest of the installation doesn't comply.

Silver Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Pieter00 View Post
    Just remember you can't get a coc for the alteration if the rest of the installation doesn't comply.
    Quite correct Pieter and there is only one way to know that, a full site inspection.
    I can ascertain from this that once you are satisfied that the site does comply, then you also take responsibility for the first certificate as soon as you issue the second one.
    To make a mistake is human, to learn from that mistake is knowledge and knowledge is strength.

Bronze Member
    Thanks
    That's right, its good to put this part of the OHS act in your quote to cover your self cause the normal guy wants a COC just for the alteration which is fine but you can't give them one if there's no CoC for the existing installation or if the existing doesn't comply

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast