Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: If there is an isolating transformer, COC apply?

Thanks
    I'd say firstly I'd like to see more customer awareness of the requirement that a CoC is issued for any addition and alteration to an electrical installation as and when it's done and it's their responsibility to make sure one is issued. Until the day customers start demanding CoC's for the new work they've had done then the door will be wide open to cowboys and unregulated/non-compliant installation work.

I'd also like to see the DOL being more vigorous in their policing of contractors who a blatantly doing dangerous installation work or issuing invalid or forged compliance certificates. It would only take a few criminal prosecutions with hefty fines or custodial sentences to curb the flagrant fraud that's happening at the moment and it's a pretty target rich environment for them to make some examples.

Finally, up until recently, most if not all of the regulations aren't retrospective until further changes or alterations are made to that circuit or in the case of the DB a new circuit is added. Forcing the new regulations and standards on the customers entire installation regardless of how small the alteration or addition being made is counterintuitive, it's preventing registered contractors from being competitive because they'll always find an alternative unlicensed guy to do the work and turn a blind eye to the rest.

The only way this would work is if they go the whole hog and say all installations must be brought up to the latest standard within the next 6 or 12 months otherwise they face disconnection. I'm not saying they ought to do this but it would be interesting seeing them getting that kite to fly

2. Thank given for this post:

Dave A (05-Feb-14), Leecatt (05-Feb-14)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123