Hi all,

I'm hoping someone can help with my query.

I run a VAT registered company that mainly deals in digital goods. We've got an importers license.

We've decided it may be beneficial to bring in some physical goods from the US, and I'm not entirely sure what the best way to go about it is. The items are relatively small and light, and from my research will only attract VAT (no applicable duties, since they're basically just plastic cards) - which we should be able to claim back. The supplier is offering free shipping, and since it's fairly small, it's like just going to come through EMS or a similar service (still to be confirmed). My question is, will a courier service like EMS handle the clearing of the items, and will they request details such as our importers license and VAT number to invoice us for the service, as well as the VAT charged on the items?

My main concern is that we pay the VAT, and then SARS denies the VAT refund due to some silly missing piece of documentation. I know I really should deal with a clearing agent, but the total value is fairly low, and we aren't buying in huge amounts, so it would be (presumably) more cost affective to use the couriers themselves to process everything.

Has anyone had experience dealing with EMS or the like in a commercial capacity, or can recommend a cost affective route to follow?

Any help will be most appreciated!