Thread: Evacuation alarms

Email problem
    Thanks

Evacuation alarms

I had an electric operated evacuation alarm system installed by a qualified electrician. The system consist of a push button which activates the siren. Is this legal or is there an act that specifies how the system must be and who must install it.

Thanks
    If it has a push button then I'd class it as manually activated not electrically activated.

You need to give much more info I'm afraid. What type of building is it? What is the purpose of the system? Is it for fire purposes, or some kind of security system? I have no clue what function this 'evacuation' system was supposed to perform.

Email problem
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyD View Post
    If it has a push button then I'd class it as manually activated not electrically activated.

You need to give much more info I'm afraid. What type of building is it? What is the purpose of the system? Is it for fire purposes, or some kind of security system? I have no clue what function this 'evacuation' system was supposed to perform.
    The building is an 2 store office block, the alarm system is used to signal an evacuation of the building for a fire or a bomb threat.
    The system is activated manually by pushing the button which in turns activates the electric siren

Thanks
    Awwww c'mon...... are you being serious? If I fit a license plate on to my dining room table can I call it a car????? No I can't, it's still a dining room table. Similarly if you install a siren that's operated by a manual press button and tell some bozo to press it if he smells smoke it doesn't make it a fire alarm. This is actually a surreal conversation but I hold you responsible, it's your fault, you started it. Unless this system has automatic sensors and testing features and is designed specifically for purpose and in a failsafe manner you can't class it as a fire alarm. In fact you've got more chance of commuting to work on my dining room table than you have of getting this passed with the authorities as a compliant fire safety system!!

Seriously you'll end up on the receiving end of a criminal summons if you're not careful. It falls far short of the legal requirements if you're using it as a fire system in a 2 storey office block. Pick up the phone and get assistance from somebody who knows the legal requirements for commercial office fire protection. Pay them to do a survey and give you some options and recommendations, it will be money well spent.

5. Thanks given for this post:

Dave A (02-Aug-13)

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Funny you should respond like that Andy, I also got myself involved in one of these "fire alarm stories". Customer requested I run a supply cable to a fire alarm panel. I thought simple, install a circuit breaker in the DB, run a cable from the DB to the fire alarm panel, signed over the COC to indicate the installation was up to standard, cable size correct, ka rating correct, volt drop calculation correct, if only I knew what I was getting myself into, never again.

7. Thanks given for this post:

WayneB (03-Aug-13)

Email problem
    Thanks
    Ians a person can tell a lot about someone character by what the say>

Did you like this article? Share it with your favourite social network.

Did you like this article? Share it with your favourite social network.