Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Running a business from a residential neighborhood?

Email problem
    Thanks
    Sometimes it is a good thing to run a business in your yard 'cause out there , there thieves that will still all your profit. I have 30 sheep and they sleep with me in my yard so that I can protect them from thieves. The only disadvantage is that I have to lessen their number now and then . There is a plot that I have hired but so scared to take them there and this is holding my biz from growing. 2010 I planted 8 ha' s of maize but all of them were burnt purposely. I planted that maize in a commonage area. just imagine the loss I suffered. Adam Khathide.

Suspended
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Khathide View Post
    Sometimes it is a good thing to run a business in your yard 'cause out there , there thieves that will still all your profit. I have 30 sheep and they sleep with me in my yard so that I can protect them from thieves. The only disadvantage is that I have to lessen their number now and then . There is a plot that I have hired but so scared to take them there and this is holding my biz from growing. 2010 I planted 8 ha' s of maize but all of them were burnt purposely. I planted that maize in a commonage area. just imagine the loss I suffered. Adam Khathide.
    Hi Adam I fully understand your problem. I hope that you can control this problem and no more of your sheep go missing.
    Can you not perhaps install some sort of security or electric fencing on the plot you have hired ?

Email problem
    Thanks
    I really wonder whether is there anything that we and our government can do to prevent this hike of fuel 'cause indeed it has an effect to us emerging farmers. our intention is also to contribute in our economic growth but it's very difficult without an assistance from anybody. One needs to use approximately 3000.00 rand to work 1 ha. This is really becoming severely hard for us.

Silver Member league_of_ordinary_men's Avatar
    Thanks
    I really wonder whether is there anything that we and our government can do to prevent this hike of fuel 'cause indeed it has an effect to us emerging farmers. our intention is also to contribute in our economic growth but it's very difficult without an assistance from anybody. One needs to use approximately 3000.00 rand to work 1 ha. This is really becoming severely hard for us.
    I would think its is getting harder,best of luck to you.

Thanks
    As far as I know as long as somebody permanently stay in part of the property you can do it. As the others said, if you don't cheeze off anybody, you OK. We've been running an online shop from home for the past 3 years now, 2x courier companies collect each day and so far nobody complained at all. We do not get many feet. People in the area like it because we always there to keep an eye while they slaving away at work.
    Only Dead Fish go with the Flow
    http://www.4x4direct.co.za/

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,258 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I have 30 sheep and they sleep with me in my yard so that I can protect them from thieves. The only disadvantage is that I have to lessen their number now and then . There is a plot that I have hired but so scared to take them there and this is holding my biz from growing. 2010 I planted 8 ha' s of maize but all of them were burnt purposely. I planted that maize in a commonage area. just imagine the loss I suffered. Adam Khathide.
    This actually is a very serious problem, and it's not just in the more built up areas and surrounds. It's happening in some country districts as well. I know of a few situations where the people that have tried planting crops in the expectation of a meaningful yield have given up doing it.

Between theft, followed by arson (either to conceal the theft or purely out of spite), these would-be entrepreneurs end up with no crop to harvest at all. After it's happened a couple of times in a row, who wouldn't give it up as mission impossible! (Assuming you had any funds left to give it another go anyway - more likely you're financially ruined).

It's just so incredibly frustrating. Not only is it financial murder of people trying to make economic progress, it is killing the financial prospects for all the people in the area that might benefit from employment if these ventures succeed and thrive.

Instead, we end up with situations like this, which is ultimately as much a result of the economic impoverishment in the area from farmers giving up on trying to bring in crops (including a rather substantial BEE government financed effort I might add), as the failure of government to complete a particular land deal

Adam, you have my deepest sympathy. I just wish I had a solution to the problem. As an earlier poster said in this thread, to a large extent it's actually in the hands of the people.

7. Thanks given for this post:

pmbguy (30-Aug-13)

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Simple - EDUCATION - once one is educated, one realises the damage done in the actions taken.

There is too much kid gloves and being politically correct. The majority of the problems are created by greed and corruption of the people in charge. String them up on a hint of bribery and corruption, and the problem will clear.
    Victor - Knowledge is a blessing or a curse, your current circumstances make you decide!
    Solar pumping, Solar Geyser & Solar Security lighting solutions - www.microsolve.co.za

9. Thanks given for this post:

Chrisjan B (31-Aug-13)

Email problem
    Thanks
    Thanks for answering me. Your words really comforted me . The only thing that left me still holding to my vision is the bible. In the book of God Job chapter 2 verses 9 and 10 : when things went terribly bad for this man, he said ' Shall we accept good from God, and not trouble ? ' The perpetrators of these evil actions, don't even thing that there are people who are assisting me and who are able to put plates on their tables.

What makes me sick is that when they are given a chance to come and work, they will complain the whole day about how little you are paying them. Some will drink alcohol in work. They only work in your presence and I really don't thing that is what our people must do. Entrepreneurs will not always police workers cause there are a number of other activities they must take care off. All is mess.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234