Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NEED Help From You Guys.

Thanks

Question NEED Help From You Guys.

Hello Everybody,

I want to start a SEO business in South Africa and looking to move toward having a big brand which helps business. Need help as i'm not local, i'm from Mumbai (INDIA).

Have few questions.
    1) Which license i need to obtain to run a business in south Africa ?

2) Bank account ( Do i need a registered office over here to obtain it ?)
    Can i just get a merchant processor and get the money from them.

3) I am pretty small with capital but have tons of experience with SEO. Do i need a big capital ?

I have left by previous JOB of as a Technical Head, frustrated with my SEO company which ranks superior in Google South Africa .

Waiting eagerly to start a big venture.
    11 Year's of Experience - Get Your Free Digital Marketing Consultant - only on TheForumSA, PM Me for details!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Assuming you are operating from offshore:

Quote Originally Posted by Wiz View Post
    Have few questions.
    1) Which license i need to obtain to run a business in south Africa ?
    None.

Bank account ( Do i need a registered office over here to obtain it ?)
    Yes, or at least some sort of formal local representation, I think. To open a bank account here there is a process called FICA which must be complied with. The consequences would lead to a whole lot of other requirements...

Can i just get a merchant processor and get the money from them.
    Yes, probably. And likely to be less onerous than trying to open a bank account.

3) I am pretty small with capital but have tons of experience with SEO. Do i need a big capital ?
    That really depends how you go about it, what your target market is - a whole host of questions really.

3. Thanks given for this post:

Wiz (25-Jun-13)

Thanks
    Thanks a lot Dave. My point of getting a Bank account was for trust factor so businesses know that I'm wanting to do a legit business.
    I'm just looking to get a brand built up, ready to give free services as well to small business to i might get a reference from them.

Will look at FICA. Pretty desperate to start a business here.
    11 Year's of Experience - Get Your Free Digital Marketing Consultant - only on TheForumSA, PM Me for details!

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    My point of getting a Bank account was for trust factor so businesses know that I'm wanting to do a legit business.
    It's the issue of credentials, credibility and differentiation that's had me chewing things over quite carefully before saying anything at all.

Obviously the most cost effective, lowest setup cost way is to just "do it all online" and work from where you are. In this respect I already see one differentiator between you and much of what I have seen from previous "SEO experts" from your neck of the woods that have passed through TFSA - when it comes to servicing the English speaking market, you've got a great written communication style.

However, I do see a number of problems with the "offshore, totally online" approach...

Here are a few threads on TFSA you should read that relate to the topic:
    One on The Tech Guys
    One on New Approach Marketing (which may or may not have resurfaced under various marketing names in South Africa).

And then this one: Your opinion on meetings.
    Last edited by Dave A; 26-Jun-13 at 12:16 PM.

6. Thanks given for this post:

Wiz (26-Jun-13)

Thanks
    Will look at FICA.
    Trouble with FICA is that you will need an ID Document, and a Utility Bill which has your South African Residential Address on it as proof of residence.

Not too sure where you would go from here. Perhaps the best would be to contact a South African Bank and see what they would require from you to open an account here as a non-resident.
    No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. - Aesop "The Lion and the Mouse"

Thanks
    Thanks a lot Dave. My point of getting a Bank account was for trust factor so businesses know that I'm wanting to do a legit business.
    After decades of mismanagement, control and manipulation our local industry is a little stunted and backward thinking. So yes there are opportunities. But proceed with caution. You won't want to do business with anyone who still believes that a local bank account makes a difference.

I'm just looking to get a brand built up, ready to give free services as well to small business to i might get a reference from them.
    We are doing much the same thing and would welcome your input. Have plenty of small businesses that need help. But this part of the world is not known as God's Waiting Room for nothing. They are all hard of hearing.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I'll give you one thing - your approach is a lot better than most of the other offshore SEO "experts" I've come across.

Good luck.

If you're up to it, you can PM me with a few sites that you've done SEO on. You could be useful to us if I like your work.

10. Thanks given for this post:

Wiz (26-Jun-13)

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Atkinson View Post
    your approach is a lot better than most of the other offshore SEO "experts" I've come across.
    Yep - I smell some talent there. There may be a fit between the two of you.

12. Thanks given for this post:

Wiz (26-Jun-13)

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike C View Post
    Trouble with FICA is that you will need an ID Document, and a Utility Bill which has your South African Residential Address on it as proof of residence.
    Or register a company, rent premises and organise utilities etc. What a schlep just to have a formal local presence!

I did wonder if opening an HSBC or Citibank Rand account would face the same hurdles, but it's outside of my experience.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave A View Post
    It's the issue of credentials, credibility and differentiation that's had me chewing things over quite carefully before saying anything at all.

Obviously the most cost effective, lowest setup cost way is to just "do it all online" and work from where you are. In this respect I already see one differentiator between you and much of what I have seen from previous "SEO experts" from your neck of the woods that have passed through TFSA - when it comes to servicing the English speaking market, you've got a great written communication style.

However, I do see a number of problems with the "offshore, totally online" approach...

Here are a few threads on TFSA you should read that relate to the topic:
    One on The Tech Guys
    One on New Approach Marketing (which may or may not have resurfaced under various marketing names in South Africa).

And then this one: Your opinion on meetings.
    Thanks Dave. I'm not sure whether small businesses can opt for something like PayPal. However i still believe if i provide quality services then nothing can stop me.
    The owner of Tech guys is a big Scammer, he is responsible for ruining hell lot of businesses. New approach marketing and The tech guys (seo4k , seo7k) is a same fella from UK i.e Altrincham.
    Link - http://fbginternetscam.blogspot.com

I'm glad to be on TFSA. You guys Motivated me a lot, back on track after 6 months of stupidity.

15. Thanks given for this post:

Dave A (27-Jun-13)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Did you like this article? Share it with your favourite social network.

Did you like this article? Share it with your favourite social network.