Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Browsing with a mobile phone

Thanks
    On Afrihost here workinknysa comes up blank cateringcontacts works, just felt for the guy who is willing to pay to work as a waiter!
    Only stress when you can change the outcome!

Thanks
    We are trying to convince whoever will listen that the internet is there to be used and by anyone. Irrespective of whether they are computer literate or not. We are putting up these CV's and telling them not to expect employers to come knocking but to rather use them as a tool to sell themselves. "Give me a job, I am different and if I mess it up you are free to comment".

But like everything. It doesn't always go according to plan.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by IanF View Post
    On Afrihost here workinknysa comes up blank cateringcontacts works
    Any idea why? The sites both use Wordpress scripts and both work fine on Telkom. They are hosted on different shared hosting servers in the States. But I can't see that the international routing used by the three ISP's in question is going to be that different. Local infrastructure? proxy servers? beyond my ken and understanding.

Thanks
    Using down for everyone site working in knysa looks like it is down and catering contracts is up. So it may be the hosting company?
    Only stress when you can change the outcome!

Thanks

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by workshop View Post
    Am having a problem seeing http://workinknysna.co.za/personnel-...abram-tawanda/ with a mobile phone. It woks fine with a lap top and I suspect it's one forward slash too many. Is this a problem with phone, the browser or with the site?
    Even though it is a Wordpress Site, it has not been optimised for Mobile - an easy solution, change the theme and use the current Default Twenty Thirteen Theme or add a plugin for Mobile.
    Michael Vella
    Web Presence Solutions - www.solutionsweb.co.za

Thanks
    You can't see www.workinknysna.co.za using Axxess? Still not working.
    How about www.cateringcontacts.co.za ? Works perfectly on PC and cellphone connected via wireless to Axxess.

I got as far as http://cateringcontacts.co.za/human-...personnel-cvs/ with a smart phone connecting via Telkom wireless - it works perfect on PC and cellphone.

But could get through to the third level with a PC connected to the same moden, no problem
    - work perfect on cellphone and PC, via Axxess
    See answers next to the quote....

Axxess still not working with www.workinknysna.co.za

BOVER Technologies
    - computer sales and TeamViewer support
    Elmine Botha Freelance Photographer - Photographer/ Videographer

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,258 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Any idea why? The sites both use Wordpress scripts and both work fine on Telkom. They are hosted on different shared hosting servers in the States.
    Meh.

I'd check server loads and status as a starting point. You might want to bookmark those server status pages as you'll probably be visiting them often.

Apart from overseller hosting load issues, there are other problems using shared hosting in the USA for an SA market.

One is daily maintenance routines which tend to run somewhere between midnight and 4.00a.m. based on the server's time clock. Right now that translates to 6.00a.m. to 10.00a.m. in SA. It is highly likely you'll have significant delays, timeouts and service drop-outs such as DNS resolution issues while a maintenance script is running, especially on shared hosting.

The second one is lag, which is aggravated by shaping (prioritisation). This can (and often does) lead to typically non-browser-cached parts of a page loading fast (such as the HTML part), but other parts coming in really slowly (such as large image files and the CSS). CSS in particular can be heavily deprioritised as this is typically "only" downloaded once and then cached in your browser for a while (depending on something called a TTL setting).

And so onto the problem of mobile. Quite simply, many mobile browsers don't cache content well at all.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12