Thread: Full circle?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries

Full circle?

A case of deja vu?

Calm after protesters rampage in Soweto.

Headline published 2013-06-21 08:55 - in case you were wondering.

Thanks
    Revolting.
    In search of South African Technology Nuggets(R), for sale & trading in South East Asia.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Why attack KFC and the shops in your own township when your incompetent government can not deliver services?
    Why not rather march to Nkandla and nail your grievances to the front door?
    Excellence is not a skill; its an attitude...

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I believe it was about the electricity supply to a hostel being disconnected because of illegal connections.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    So when we are angry we should break everything?

I am mad at the monkeypality for a bad meter installation that resulted in a leak and cost us a water bill of R7 000 last month. Do I now run down the street, stone neighbour's cars and burn their properties? Will that get rid of my frustration and motivate the monkeypality to refund my R7,000?

Thanks
    That's the difference between us and them. When I say they have a different way of 'thinking' I am accused of racial profiling. What other explanation is there for not only destroying other peoples things but destroying things that benefit you directly (like the trains, buses, shops, rubbish bins etc) After all is said and done, when the protest is over, who fixes all the damaged property? As long as we have a mentality that says 'liberation before education' this once lovely country will continue to become Zim #2.

I am mad at the monkeypality for a bad meter installation that resulted in a leak and cost us a water bill of R7 000 last month. Do I now run down the street, stone neighbour's cars and burn their properties? Will that get rid of my frustration and motivate the monkeypality to refund my R7,000? [/QUOTE]

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Didditmiself View Post
    That's the difference between us and them. When I say they have a different way of 'thinking' I am accused of racial profiling.
    Using "us" and "them" is a pretty poor start too

Originally I posted this as "full circle" because it reminded me of headlines decades ago. Seems more hasn't changed than I had originally thought.

Well, one thing has changed. It didn't take much rampaging to get the electricity turned back on in this case. Certainly seems more effective than writing letters to your local representative at the Council.

So given that rampaging works, I guess we "all" can expect more of the same, then.

Violent strike action at Marikana produces huge pay increases.
    Rampage in Soweto get the electricity turned back on.
    The lessons on the right way to get what you want are piling up

ps. I know quite a few "thems" that don't think this is the way it should go down either.

Thanks
    ps. I know quite a few "thems" that don't think this is the way it should go down either.

Yes Dave, that sounded racist to me, which was unintended. I reiterate, the direction that the people of a country (or a company or a club or a movement etc) follow is usually determined by the example it's President sets. That is a fact of life. Unfortunately, another fact of life is that if we feel cheated in any way, we will resort to any means to get what we want and thereby rectify the situation in whichever way we see fit. In many cases the methods we employ to achieve those ends are unorthodox and probably illegal.
    The real pity is that we have to resort to behaving badly because those who were responsible for creating the problem in the first place choose to ignore any pleas or requests from those affected to rectify the situation. It brings me back to entitlement. Just because a government has been elected to power does not mean they are entitled to force laws through parliament (like non-disclosure of classified information, e-tolls, banning of liquor on Sundays etc) without thorough debate. To date there has been no referenda on any of these examples - more especially the E Toll saga. The present government is of the opinion they are entitled to do whatever they like (spend as much tax money as they want on what ever they deem necessary) because the majority voted for them. So naturally this mindset filters down to the populace.
    On the other side of the coin, in a lot of cases, the individual feels simply entitled to whatever he/she wants because he/she voted for the Party. A lot of the people of this country feel that the government owes them a house or free electricity or water or education or even TV and though they (may be) employed and can afford to pay (some of it), "why should I ?" because they feel were disenfranchised by the previous Government.

The solution? I'm an engineer. I'm not a politician but I would suggest that the members Parliament do the job for which they are well paid; don't duck and dive when
    there is clear evidence of corruption, waste, misappropriation of funds or other shenanigans. Get rid of the losers in the Municipalities. Show the people that the Government is there for them and not for their own ends. The people will see that an effort is being made to make the country better instead of blaming Verwoerd or Apartheid. Hopefully they will want to do their part as well. After all, a large percentage of the people living in this country will never be able to leave it.
    And to suggest that Zuma be tried in a court of law for his part in the arms deal is pointless because it just won't happen. But cleaning up Parliament would be a good place to start.

9. Thanks given for this post:

Dave A (23-Jun-13)

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave A View Post
    Using "us" and "them" is a pretty poor start too

Originally I posted this as "full circle" because it reminded me of headlines decades ago. Seems more hasn't changed than I had originally thought.
    Agreed, we should all be South Africans with equal opportunities. Unfortunately it all starts with poor leadership, or should we rather say lack of leadership and lack of education. Civilised people do not behave in such a manner.

Unfortunately there are those with political agendas that instigate and rouse the poor and uneducated in their craving for power and money. That is the reason why I do not like politicians.

Fortunately there are also many black people that distance themselves from these uncivilised barbaric masses that are being exploited by opportunists.