Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: R20000-R50000 to startup a business? How to go about it?

Thanks

R20000-R50000 to startup a business? How to go about it?

Hi,

I have a chance to grab an agency for the city i live in.
    I need R50 000 to get the angency. I will also have the sole agency for my city and receive R67000 worth of stock.

I have tried the product and knows it works. It help me stop smoking within a week. And I have tried everything before.

Two people in my office uses it. That is were i heard about it. Out of the 6 of us at the office that smoke, know 3 of us are using the product.
    Two the off the other smokers at the office asked me to send them information about it. If they go on to it then 83% of the smokers in my office
    would have moved from smoking cigarettes to the product.

There is also an re-curring customer base once a customer has baught the product. The product has "re-fills".

I can alternatively become an un-official agent for R20000 where i get 20% discount on the stock. But then i loose the chance to grab the sole agency for
    my city.

What is the best place/way to aquiring a loan or business partner/investor . I will be working on a business plan over the next week.
    I have a friend that owns his own distribution agency and have been in sales for the long time. I can approach him with the business
    plan and am sure he will be interested and he has the cash flow in his business to put down the money.

Any suggestions on what i should do and how to go about drawing up "a return on investment plan" and any other suggestion to aquiring the cash.

Thanks
    BJ

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    E-cigarettes by any chance?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave A View Post
    E-cigarettes by any chance?
    Hi Dave, how you doing? Long time since i have been on TFSA .

Yes, its electronic cigarettes.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I suggest you research the competition before you commit. For example, they're available at Clicks.
    Also available through a number of online outlets.

I'm not saying there isn't a business opportunity, but it probably isn't as exclusive an opportunity you o.p. suggests you might think it to be.

Do a business plan.
    Do solid research.
    Don't do it on a hunch or based on the spin from whomever is trying to get you to part with your cash.

I can alternatively become an un-official agent for R20000 where i get 20% discount on the stock. But then i loose the chance to grab the sole agency for my city.
    That troubles the heck out of me. I would be deeply suspicious of anyone making offerings along those lines.

Look before you leap, my friend.

Thanks
    Yes, i am planning to do solid research on who the competitors are, how big the market is, how crowded the market is, price and quality comparisons etc.
    and draw up an business plan.

I believe the quality of the product and that it works, is what will make it sell. And have a marketing strategy in mind. It sell from R200 to R1000+ depending on the one you take.

What would youre route be if you had to aquire the cash. Would you go the loan route or investor route? And who whould be youre first option for an loan and where would you look for investors. Thanks

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Your options are driven by your overall credit worthiness (how banks and other finance options might see you).

Generally the order of preference for small finance requirements typically is:
    Self-financed (ultimately lowest risk option)
    Secured loan (with collateral = lowest interest cost)
    Unsecured loan (revolving credit, credit card = higher interest cost)
    Investor (% of business = loss of autonomy)
    Family and friends (normally low interest or ownership cost, but high relationship risk)

Other options are:
    Angel investors (% of business - aiming for a high growth potential or very high return, but generally come with experience and advice)

The others that come to mind would generally involve much larger sums of money.

Blurock seems quite positive about some of the DTI programs out there. Hopefully he'll chip in with some ideas too.

My final comment for now is that in nearly all instances, there will be some level of expectation that you commit some of your own money too.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I also like the product actually but there is a “monopoly” at the moment. We have a few stores in our aria the sells it for more or less the same price. So based on that I would investigate and see about your profit margin because I have a feeling that your cut is predetermined by them. It is not always a bad thing but rather ask the difficult questions now.
    peace is a state of mind
    Disclaimer: everything written by me can be considered as fictional.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Pardon me for being negative, but I have serious doubts about the viability of E-cigarettes as a stand alone business. If it works and they stop smoking after a week, where will your recurring sales come from? The chain stores include E-cigarettes in their product mix, so can be more aggressive on pricing. Will you be able to compete?

What will your R50k buy? An exclusive agency or just stock? What does the fine print say? Does that include advertising and promotion? Where will you sell from, online or from fixed premises? Or are you going to sell directly to the chain stores, in which case you'll have to pay a hefty listing fee and rebates etc etc.

Talking to family and friends is good, but can not be considered as market research as these are often people who who do not want to embarrass you by shooting you down.
    R50k may not be enough to invest in a sustainable business. Are you looking for a short term opportunity or do you want to create wealth?
    Excellence is not a skill; its an attitude...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Blurock View Post
    Pardon me for being negative, but I have serious doubts about the viability of E-cigarettes as a stand alone business. If it works and they stop smoking after a week, where will your recurring sales come from?
    It uses liquad based refills which cost around R100 and last about a month (price varies for flavour) . The one guy at my office has been using it for around two years after he stopped smoking and is still using it. That is where me and the other guy at the office heard about it.

The chain stores include E-cigarettes in their product mix, so can be more aggressive on pricing. Will you be able to compete?
    There is no real advertisement on Electronic cigarettes in East London. Will have do some research before i will have more information, which i will be doing this weekend. @Dave A and @Blurock i have sent you link to the suppliers. For obvious reason i don't want to post it here.
    @Tec were are you from?

What will your R50k buy? An exclusive agency or just stock? What does the fine print say? Does that include advertising and promotion? Where will you sell from, online or from fixed premises? Or are you going to sell directly to the chain stores, in which case you'll have to pay a hefty listing fee and rebates etc etc.

An agency, youre name will be published on there website as an agent. Receive R67 000 worth as stock. (I presume at sell value). You can make up the stock from any of there product, the just give suggestions. He said they do protect there agents and can only garuntee an area in a city. But when i mention EL he said there will "probably" only be one agent for EL. If i persue this agency, I should try and get that on paper. And from the supplier point of view if you are there sole agent should there be some sort of performance clause.

Talking to family and friends is good, but can not be considered as market research as these are often people who who do not want to embarrass you by shooting you down.
    I will create an survey to find out more if people would be willing to pay and what they will be willing to pay for an quality e-cigarette and to stop smoking in EL. Then again I know my way around the web and how to market / sell on line.

R50k may not be enough to invest in a sustainable business. Are you looking for a short term opportunity or do you want to create wealth?
    This is an short term business opportunity for me. I want to start my own IT company eventually. I am a programmer for an IT company at the moment.

I have tried many opportunities, and am still to find the one that is going to work. But without failing there can't be success.

Thanks
    B.J.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I like your entrepreneurial spirit, but do your homework first, then get an informed opinion before making the final call.
    Excellence is not a skill; its an attitude...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast