Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: R20000-R50000 to startup a business? How to go about it?

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    I think that buying an agency for something that any fool can bring in simply using his credit card and the internet is a total waste. What will you do if I bring in R200K of e-cigarettes and sell thrm on every street corner in your town

My personal opinion is that you are wasting your money. Find something unique that nobody can easily duplicate. My trains are like that, any fool can imprt American trains cheaply but nobody can make South African trains as accurately as I can.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by adrianh View Post
    I think that buying an agency for something that any fool can bring in simply using his credit card and the internet is a total waste. What will you do if I bring in R200K of e-cigarettes and sell thrm on every street corner in your town
    I was thinking a more coporate client base, as it isn't cheap, but also not expensive in terms of stopping smoking compaired to smoking, as you will save alot of money compaired to if you continue smoking. You can smoke it in your office while you work. Like i/we do :-)

Quote Originally Posted by adrianh View Post
    My personal opinion is that you are wasting your money. Find something unique that nobody can easily duplicate. My trains are like that, any fool can imprt American trains cheaply but nobody can make South African trains as accurately as I can.
    Yes, thats true, but my knowledge is in IT and this is just a means to an end, and it is something i will be comfortable in selling as so many people want to stop smoking and the market is big, crowded i don't know, research to do, and I have IT systems i want to write, but am not getting the time with working full day and extra hours at home with my current work. I need my own business going, something to give me an income while I focus on what I really want to do. The one system I have developed and want to improve and know can be a success, I need about 6 months to develop it further.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Blurock View Post
    Pardon me for being negative, but I have serious doubts about the viability of E-cigarettes as a stand alone business. If it works and they stop smoking after a week, where will your recurring sales come from?
    Right basted on my own research, and it is by “no means conclusive” but there seems to be repeat business opportunity lurking as some smokers use this product as an alternative as it is more acceptable in public places, offices, and Medical facilities.

As a standalone business it has almost no chance. Being on the supply side is a better bet but the demand is questionable but as it is short term it may still be worth looking into. If you are looking at the supplying side get the books and evaluate who the customers are and if there is a pattern.

If you sport customary behaviour look at the size of the orders are they the same each and every time. This will give you a feel for the market and if there is value or not. Just make sure the books are honest....

I remember health products that used a similar based system to get people to buy the product and invest. BUT turned out to be a can of worms.

Whatever you do just be careful.
    peace is a state of mind
    Disclaimer: everything written by me can be considered as fictional.

Thanks
    I went to look were the product was being imported from, and found that there is one more person importing it. What is stopping that person from selling so called protected "agencies". When importing goods is there any sort of agreement were you can sell?

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Nothing stops anybody from using their credit card and ordering it from anywhere in the world whether you have an agency or not. An agency for a product that is made by many different companies and sold by many different companies and individuals into many markets is simply a waste of time, money and energy.

You must remember that your R50K is a $h1tload of money to you but it is a drop in the ocean for many others. Those others will quite happily throw a couple of grand on the off chance of making some money. Believe me, my brother is like that, a 100k here or there is like 1k to me you you. The point that I am trying to make is that you need to be very careful when you evaluate risk vs reward, don't just think it terms of what you may make, also think in terms of what the money men will do when they see you making money. They can sink you simply by entering the same market as you.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bjsteyn View Post
    I need my own business going, something to give me an income while I focus on what I really want to do. The one system I have developed and want to improve and know can be a success, I need about 6 months to develop it further.
    Starting a new business takes time and dedication and many many late nights. I do not think that you can do this on a part time basis and still focus on what you really want to do. You are going to lose out somewhere if you do not keep your eye on the ball.
    Excellence is not a skill; its an attitude...

Thanks
    Haha, i hardly sleep. If my body could handle it, i probably wouldn't sleep

This could work for me as an partime business. I already have a business plan, that i know will work.

I believe i can sell the product and will try and negotiate an smaller initial investment like R5000, then not much lost. At worst I have an e-ciggie supply for
    an lifetime

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,258 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bjsteyn View Post
    I went to look were the product was being imported from, and found that there is one more person importing it. What is stopping that person from selling so called protected "agencies". When importing goods is there any sort of agreement were you can sell?
    I'm so glad you're doing the research, BJ. There are plenty of sharks out there.

And not much to stop you from being their prey other than eyes wide open, I'm afraid.

Thanks
    Research the distributors, find out what other products they've been involved with in the past, speak to others who've done business with them over the past few years. When making your business plan get an uninterested third party involved to help you, it's not easy to be impartial and realistic when you're excited about a product.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12