Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WARNING TELKOM MIX

Diamond Member
    Thanks

WARNING TELKOM MIX

I AM HAVING ONE OF THOSE DAYS AGAIN, ALL I WANT TO DO IS LOAD A DATA BUNDLE ON TO MY TELKOM MIX IPHONE, SURELY IT CANT BE THAT DIFFICULT.

YOU CANT CONTACT 8 TA BECAUSE YOU ARENT PART OF 8 TA BUT YOU ARE, BUT NOT SO YOU HAVE TO GET TRANSFERED FROM ONE AGENT TO THE NEXT, BUT THEN THEY TELL YOU THERE IS A NEW NUMBER YOU MUST DIAL, BUT WHEN YOU CALL THE OTHER NUMBER, THE AGENTS ARE NOT SURE WHO YOU NEED TO SPEAK TO SO YOU GET TRANSFERED FROM ONE AGENT TO THE NEXT, UNTIL YOU EITHER THROW THE PHONE OVER THE HOUSE BECAUSE YOU GET SO FRUSTRATED DEALING WITH IDIOTS AND HOPE YOU HAVE A GRIIFIN COVER LIKE I DO.

Or just scrap the whole idea of having a Telkom mix and rather just get an MTN cell phone at least then you can log onto the bank and download the data bundle straight to your cell phone, here I thought this Telkom mix was going to be simple. The other thing about Telkom mix, there is nothing simple about it.

Something you need to be aware of, your data and sms bundles which come with the mix DO NOT CARRY OVER, and the airtime on carries over for 3 months then you LOOSE it all.

By the way I have just received my Telkom account for this month R11000-20 oops sorry they just f&%*$d up again. To give you an idea, before I change to the Telkom mix my bill was between R450 - R600. Since I have had this Telkom mix it hasn't been under R2000 and I have zero limits on the account in other words as soon as the package deal is finished I have to recharge, I havent had to recharge until today.
    Last edited by ians; 13-Jun-13 at 06:11 PM.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Thanks for the warning Ian. I have considered the convergence package, but now have second thoughts. The reality is that our telephone calls are far too expensive as shown up in numerous local and international surveys. Why are international calls so much cheaper than local calls?

Our phone companies are ripping us off and we just accept the bullshit they feed us. Come on people, let's wake up and DO something!
    Excellence is not a skill; its an attitude...

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    I am starting to wonder about these pay one fee and everything is included, if I look at what I have got and how I do things I could seriously do with taking a step back and rethinking the whole thing again

This is what I have

A landline and adsl 1 meg line with all the gismos for Telkom, weekend and night free you name it and now I have added the Telkom mix iphone 5 package (big mistake) budgeted cost R499 + R382 for the mix under R1000 pm (or so I thought) R2100 last month and R11000 this month....eeeeish.

I have an mtn prepaid sim in a R149 nokia phone, which I top up once or twice a month depending on my business budget cost R200 - R400 p/m that is my business contact number.

I have an mtn prepaid sim in my netbook which I load data bundles R100 p/m

total monthly estimate R1500, yet for a lot less (around R1200) I can super charge a get unlimited calls and data ( I have gone into it yet to see what is the catch)

By the way I tried to register my number on the 8ta for self help on the 8 ta website, it doesn't recognise my number as an 8 ta number, to enjoy the benefits, you cant check your balance, you cant load data bundles you have to go to Telkom and buy vouchers then load it into your phone. As I mentioned even though 8 ta (now Telkom mobile apparently no longer 8ta) is the carrier for Telkom cellphone phones, they are not the same department which is just a nightmare.

All I can say is thank the God I didn't port my number, so at east my business number and cell phone stays exactly like it is, no 3 months down time like what happened with virgin mobile.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    What would be the best ADSL solution or alternative?

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    It all boils down to what your requirements are, for example if you download lots of movies, getting a 1 meg line is a no brainer, going with Telkom is a no brainer, you would require a 4 meg or higher line from Telkom, using mweb for example with an ucapped data

I realised I made a terrible mistake and it is my own fault because I should have down my homework, first before I went and out an signed a 24 month contract, my thought at the time was iphone is suppose to be the best and linking the cell phone to the landline bill would make my life simply, one place to go and one bill at the end of the month, man if only it was that simple.

You have to make sure that if you sign a contract with Telkom it is not a mix, as I have explained the mix is not part telkom mobile (8ta) even though telkom mobile (previously known as 8ta) is the carrier for telkom mobile it is not one company, the problem is telkom mix doesn't have any cell phone facilities like telkom mobile (8ta) but they are in the same call centre. You cannot load data bundles with out phoning telkom mix or going into a telkom store, in fact after wasting almost an hour today in a telkom store, I found out that you cannot load a data bundle or voucher, you have to buy an airtime voucher then convert it to a data bundle, telkom mix is what they call an open contract which creates a whole lto of problem on its own when it comes to reloading, I could go on and on, trust me its not worth the hassle

The other problem is the telkom mix contract is R1.50 per minute for calls for 24 months and the telkom mobile rate is 85c per minute.

But the most import factor, the speed, telkom mobile/mix have a long way to go to catch up. After using MTN LTE for data in the iphone and now changing back to the telkom mix sim 3 G, you need patients, it is very slow in comparison to MTN. IT might improve in years to come, but I would rather pay the little extra ( should I say a lot more than double the rate) for MTN.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    And so it just gets worse, the signal assessment team is sent out to verify my complaints. The response, "I must understand that they are a new service provider which is still growing (piggy backing MTN) and therefore don't have the facilities like MTN and Vodacom."

So now I join the rest of Africa and just accept the shit that is thrown at me.

So much for the 8 sms they offer every month, they cant get the iphone5 to send messages via their network due to software issues.

Consumer protection act, yeah right.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Blurock View Post
    What would be the best ADSL solution or alternative?
    VOIP

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitos View Post
    VOIP
    You still have to connect to the internet. So who offers the best solution at the best price?

Telkom has been providing a good reliable service until now, but the expensive line rental makes me wonder if there is not a better alternative. Their charge per Mb is also not the cheapest.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    I don't have a problem with my Telkom adsl line, it is the Telkom mobile (8ta) crap that I am having problems with, they take my money every months and piles of it, yet I don't get what I pay for. As I mentioned they give you 8 free sms with the mix bundle but the iphone5 has software issues when it comes to sms and 8ta, apparently they are working on it, like they are working on improving the network, just going to take a while.

No signal, then suddenly full signal with 3 G but as I try for example load the banking app to pay for goods, it just rolls, but there is no network, then it MTN with 3 G is displayed then the network works, for a couple minutes then back to 8ta no network.

Some days I have no MTN signal and Telkom mobile (8ta) works intermittently

Just another warning, I signed up a 24 month mix contract with them at R1.50 p/m, the next month they dropped the call rate to 0.95 c p/m, yes it is cheap but remember you getting what you pay for.

Make sure you put a limit on your data to whatever they offer you and this goes for all cellphone contracts, because once you use up the bundle offered you pay R1 per meg unless you reload a bundle the day it is used up.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I have reduced my cell phone account from + R600 pm at Vodacom (billed at R1.65 per minute) to R150 pm prepaid at Cell C (billed per second @ 90c per minute). I also get free Cell C minutes when I top up.

Now I just need to find out if there is a better option for an internet connection.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast