Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: When is an electrical certificate required

Silver Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ians View Post

I also believe the COC should be an electronic document, so that specific info can be captured for small jobs and extended for bigger projects.
    I like this idea
    To make a mistake is human, to learn from that mistake is knowledge and knowledge is strength.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ians View Post
    instead I ask the regulars to help me, tell me to pi$$ off when I have negative things to say.
    Nah - we need someone to balance out the "Rah-rah The world's just peachy" crowd.

Besides which, sometimes you're right

Thanks
    The regs state that all new and additions/alterations to existing installations be certified. Replaced faulty equipment(ELCB) or appliance(stove) are not required to be certified. If a free-standing stove is being replaced by an under-counter oven and hob and the installation is extended then the "new" portion of the installation needs to be certified as an addition/alteration.
    Installing a timer would not in my opinion qualify for a COC as the installation is not being changed other than an additional switch being installed in line.

Silver Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparks View Post
    The regs state that all new and additions/alterations to existing installations be certified. Replaced faulty equipment(ELCB) or appliance(stove) are not required to be certified. .
    You are correct about the stove as it is an appliance and the certificate specifically states that appliances are not part of the electrical certificate.

The replacement of the ELCB however is a different story.
    As we all know the trip rating has to be recorded onto an electrical certificate.
    If the trip rating of the replacement ELCB is different to that of the original ELCB, surely that has to be recorded onto an electrical certificate, disregarding the fact that these certificates are a pain in the arse to write out?

Furthermore, you cannot issue an additional certificate to an original certificate until such time as you are satisfied that the original is indeed valid. (Electrical regulations Section 9 (2) (c)

Therefore in my honest, and quite obviously unpopular opinion, when changing an ELCB one has to then perform an inspection to the entire installation, to verify its compliance, before issuing a certificate for the ELCB installation.
    This could prove to be a costly exercise for the home-owner.
    To make a mistake is human, to learn from that mistake is knowledge and knowledge is strength.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Leecatt View Post
    Therefore in my honest, and quite obviously unpopular opinion, when changing an ELCB one has to then perform an inspection to the entire installation, to verify its compliance, before issuing a certificate for the ELCB installation.
    I could find it in my heart to support that point of view

A point on the stove connection issue -

We got called in on a property we'd issued a COC, ultimately because of a botched stove replacement after we'd issued the certificate.
    Smashed isolator housing.
    Exposed housewire between isolator and stove - no sprag.
    And every time they switched the stove isolator on, it "tripped the lights. Surely the stove should be on its own circuit breaker. The stove is obviously being supplied by the light circuit. (You a-holes)"
    (Actually, it was tripping the earth leakage. Sh1t like that will happen when you wire the earth and the neutral to the same terminal in the stove.)

Look, I know changing a stove doesn't need a COC, or in theory affect it - but isn't it supposed to be done by a qualified electrician?
    And not as in this case, by the handyman who just happened to be at the property at the time changing the geyser...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12