Thread: Mac And Ip help

Thanks

Mac And Ip help

Hi i have a problem i need some help with.I am trying to connect to a device with a lan cable and i need to find out the mac address and IP address of the device im tring to connect to. I have a windows OS and i am using a crossover lan cable is there a way i can track the IP and mac address.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    You are not going to find the mac or ip address from the windows side if you can't connect to the device in the first place. Your vendor should tell you how to connect to the device.

Thanks
    The device is connected with a lan cable

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Yes of course it is connected to a lan cable, so what?

What you are trying to do is similar as having two cellphones next to each other and asking to get the phone number and IME number for one phone from the other if you don't know what they are. It simply doesn't work that way.

Another example is to try to fathom out what somebody's bank card pin number is without asking them. You cannot get information from a device if you are unable to communicate with it in the first place.

Thanks
    If it's already connected physically, chances are that it's assigned an IP through your PC's DHCP service. Usually on newer Windows that would mean your device is displayed somewhere like the Network folder, perhaps as an "Unknown" device if it doesn't tell windows what it is. If it's one of these Unknown devices, it's preferable to install its drivers before you connect it - so windows knows what it is before it connects.

If it's one of the "unknowns", or if your windows is older (e.g. XP or before) and it's possibly connected - you could try the following:
    1. Start a command-line console: Press WinKey+R, type cmd[Enter]
    2. Type ipconfig /all[Enter]
    3. All connected devices (including all your PC's network addapters) should be listed, including their assigned IP adresses and MAC's.

If the device doesn't connect (even as an unknown device), you're out of luck. Usually this means you need some drivers or other procedure for forcing a connection. And that you can only obtain from the manufacturer, who should've listed it somewhere on the device or in a manual.
    Gold is the money of kings; silver is the money of gentlemen; barter is the money of peasants; but debt is the money of slaves. - Norm Franz
    And central banks are the slave clearing houses

6. Thanks given for this post:

Dave A (13-Jun-13)

Did you like this article? Share it with your favourite social network.

Did you like this article? Share it with your favourite social network.