Thread: Toyota South Africa blacklists buyer.

Silver Member
    Thanks

Toyota South Africa blacklists buyer.

Toyota South Africa has "flagged" a buyer on there invoicing system. What this means is that should this buyer want to purchase a Toyota vehicle from a dealer anywhere in South Africa,the dealer is unable to sell/supply to this buyer (a close colleague).

Acccording to the colleague the problem seemed to have arisen when he purchased a SUV that had just been launched by Toyota. After approx. a weeks use, & having decided that this SUV was not for him, he decided to sell it.Toyota South Africa somehow, discovered this colleague's intention. The supplying dealer was interrogated. It would appear that some other dealer might have complained to his Head Office (Toyota) that whilst he was unable to obtain stock of this SUV, how was it possible that a private individual was selling a nearly very new vehicle of the same model.

Surely once you purchase any article one is free to dispose same at anytime and at any price one chooses. Toyota South Africa are clearly is abusing their dominant position as the only supplier of Toyota vehicles in S.A. by restricting their dealerships to supply vehicles to whomever dealerships choose to sell.

The colleague's dilemma is what redress does he have. Is the Competition Commission the body to approach?

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I would go public and maybe even contact Carte Blanch, what an abuse of your own product. Once I have paid for something, it is mine! I do as I please with it!
    Victor - Knowledge is a blessing or a curse, your current circumstances make you decide!
    Solar pumping, Solar Geyser & Solar Security lighting solutions - www.microsolve.co.za

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,258 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by flaker View Post
    Acccording to the colleague the problem seemed to have arisen when he purchased a SUV that had just been launched by Toyota. After approx. a weeks use, & having decided that this SUV was not for him, he decided to sell it.
    Of course I may be wrong, but sometimes you just sense there's more to a story.

Years ago, when the waiting list on some luxury cars was over a year, the trick was to order the vehicle, and when you knew you were up for delivery in a week or two's time, advertise and sell it as new. The economic law of supply and demand meant you would get a significantly higher price for the "near instant" availability from someone who wanted the vehicle now.

Maybe Toyota suspects something similar is going on in this case?

Mind you, even if that is the case, not sure it's something that really impacts the manufacturer though.

It'd certainly be interesting to hear Toyota's side of the story.

Silver Member
    Thanks
    "Years ago, when the waiting list on some luxury cars was over a year"

Agree. That was in the case of Mercedes. You joined a queue (buyers list). Mercedes overcame that by saying that whomever the car was allotted to, had to take registration of that car in their name upon delivery.

I also agree that some Toyota dealerships may have questioned as to how this vehicle was being sold virtually new, when they were not even in a position to obtain one from Toyota SA (at that point in time).
    But what does it matter to an individual if this be so. If he is unhappy, he does with it whatever he so wishes. After all, Toyota does not accept returns.

It will be good to hear Toyota's side of the story.

Did you like this article? Share it with your favourite social network.

Did you like this article? Share it with your favourite social network.