Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Website or facebook

Diamond Member
    Thanks

Website or facebook

I have to make a decision in the next day or 2 about which method I will use to promote my business.

Do I really need a website as an electrical contractor or do you think face book and forums will do, I know I have to change my approach to replies and new threads.

Like Neville has proved on this forum, be a nice guy who helps people and post the best pics on a forum and you will get a good response or do I get Mark to spice up my really 2 bob website, which by the way only gets responses from people looking for work at this point in time, in the 2 years I have had it up and running I can honestly say there hasn't even been one work related lead.

So any ideas or I suppose could start a south African forum like Dave has done and promote my business, NOT, too much hard work, I will leave it up to Dave.

Lets hear what you have to say, any idea or other options?

Thanks
    Good morning Ian,

I may have just been lucky, but what has worked for me was to spice up my website (I think virtually every business needs one, at least to refer your prospective clients to) and then advertise that site. Put it onto your vehicles, flyers, magazines, business cards, letterheads, etc. Take any opportunity to list it on any free sites you may find. People love to browse on the net and the more that you can get them to click on your domain, the higher Google will rate it. Adwords and SEO do cost money, but they will both bring visitors to your site. I have had both done, for about six months at a time , and they both work.

I am not on Facebook and have no knowledge of how it works, but my impression is that it is a very busy/noisy time-waster, and I am yet to come across anyone that can convince me otherwise. But of course I could be completely wrong on this.

So, I think you need a website, but you need to promote it at every opportunity.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    If you don't like your current website, at least do a Wordpress site - you just have to follow Workshop's guide in the 30 day challenge thread and you'll have something reasonable in no time.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Cant believe I missed that thread completely, as soon as I get a moment I will read the complete thread.

Got a message from hetzner informing me about some changes, I just haven't had time to read the email.

Just got a million and 2 other things I am trying to get up and running at the moment, biggest challenge this week, trying to get all the outstanding money customers owe me, so that I can close that chapter, and move forward.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    you gotta love Telkom, I sign a 24 month contract last month at R1.50 per minute call rate, I go back to sort out some issues with the iphone and I read the rates have dropped to .95c but I don't qualify for them until my 24 month contract is up.

Suspended
    Thanks
    We use FB, Linked In and our website. FB is not as good as Linked In and our website. Personally I think that FB is a waste of time especially in our industry. We advertise a vacancy with specific criteria and get every tom dick and harry sending their cv's thro to us relating to a specific job posting. The do not read the criteria.

Thanks
    For me i think both are affective and it should be use for our businesses because marketing has there

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Well, how many members of this Forum use its Facebook page, or do we prefer to post here?

FB may have its advantages in certain industries such as hospitality or travel, but like twitter I personally find it a waste of time.
    Excellence is not a skill; its an attitude...

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    I believe that face book or twitter could be a valuable asset, the only problem is it could also work against you, if people don't like your remarks or know a little too much about you it could have a negative impact on you website visits.

I believe any media will work very well if you can be a "nice guy" all the time, but the problem is if you make a slip and your true personality is exposed on face book book or twitter it could make a huge impact on the your website visits.

The problem with social media is you could just be having a really bad day or you word something in a manner which is offensive or someone people just don't know you well enough to know you joke around, it could have serious backlash.

I think if you have a business face book page it is not always a good idea to allow customer access to your personal page.

I am experiencing this problem at the moment, where I have been a naughty boy and speak my mind of things which have happened in the past and instead of just keeping quiet, I have exposed incidents which I don't agree with like cheating on public media and it has backfired on me, I have found people don't mind skinnering behind peoples back but when they get put in the spot light they hide like cowards or then turn the attention on the person who is now in the spot light and forget all about the person who they were just skinnering about.

In conclusion, keep your opinions to yourself, support your the local rugby team, offer free advice, and most important think very carefully before you press enter, if you do this I believe all public media could be a huge asset to your business.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    If I need a plumber or an electrician, will I search on the web or on facebook? I will also look at my local community newspaper, but preferably I would ask the neighbours for a recommendation.
    Excellence is not a skill; its an attitude...

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast