Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Beware of lifeproof cases for apple products

Diamond Member
    Thanks

Beware of lifeproof cases for apple products

If you have purchased a lifeproof case in South Africa, you need to verify that if is not a counterfeit by sending the serial number to lifeproof.com

I purchased a lifeproof case and did all the tests to verify it was waterproof, it passed, but there where a few minor issues like people complaining that they could not hear me when I spoke into the phone, so I did a little research.

I would never have picked up that it was a counterfeit product by the packaging or the case itself it was so well made.

Apparently there are no resellers in South Africa according to lifeproof so if you purchase in SA chances are it is a counterfeit.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Shoo another scam. Seems they are all around us.
    Victor - Knowledge is a blessing or a curse, your current circumstances make you decide!
    Solar pumping, Solar Geyser & Solar Security lighting solutions - www.microsolve.co.za

Suspended
    Thanks
    At they not available perhaps because SA does not yet have the proper Apple stores in our country, only the local "I" store, which is a big difference ?

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    There is now a company which is a reseller, lifeproofsa.co.za, unfortunately they don't stock iphone 5 products nor ipad mini product, much good that is.

Something to be aware of if you decide to use a water proof cover for your electronic device, the water proof cover company will NOT repair or replace the device you use in the cover even if it fails after the first day, they will replace the cover but not the device, even if it is an original, just something to think about before putting a R10 000 - R15 000 device into a waterproof housing and taking a dip.

Something else to consider, the call centre will respond to you claim within 3 DAYS due to the high call rate...eeeeeish, need I say anymore.

So what do I take away from this terrible experience, if you plan on using your electronic device for extreme experiences, be prepared to waste a lot of money or use the correct device designed for the application, ie don't use an iphone 5 when you go diving or riding your bike...rather get a go pro which at least replaces the unit when they fail, which by the way seems to be common especially with the go pro hero 2, but at least they replace the units if with in the warranty period.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Lets not even start the Apple discussion

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Just got an email from lifeproof.com, they have verified that my lifeproof cover purchased from http://www.microgadgets.co.za/ is a counterfeit.

If you have a lifeproof cover for an iphone 5 there are a few simple things to look out for:

You will find people cannot hear you when you speak into the phone mic,

The touch screen becomes non responsive once you dial a number,

the shape of the camera lens is slightly different,

The serial number in the back case is not correct,

there is no serial number in the front cover,

the inside of the black cover is not black,

The scary thing is everything else including the packaging looks identical, there are bar codes, scan code, the spelling is correct, the pics are embossed, you will not even know you have a counterfeit unless you check all these things and even the things I have listed work I would send the serial numbers to lifeproof just to verify.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    There is a very simple way to determine it your lifeproof case is for real or a counterfeit, just look at the box cover, in the top right corner where is says LIFEPROOF there must be a R in a circle

this video points out all the things to look out for,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WqmnfZhmGZM

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ians View Post
    Just got an email from lifeproof.com, they have verified that my lifeproof cover purchased from http://www.microgadgets.co.za/ is a counterfeit.

If you have a lifeproof cover for an iphone 5 there are a few simple things to look out for:

You will find people cannot hear you when you speak into the phone mic,

The touch screen becomes non responsive once you dial a number,

the shape of the camera lens is slightly different,

The serial number in the back case is not correct,

there is no serial number in the front cover,

the inside of the black cover is not black,

The scary thing is everything else including the packaging looks identical, there are bar codes, scan code, the spelling is correct, the pics are embossed, you will not even know you have a counterfeit unless you check all these things and even the things I have listed work I would send the serial numbers to lifeproof just to verify.
    This is disturbing! Have you contacted ‘Walter,’ for a refund? What does Walter have to say?

"CONTACT DETAILS

e-mail: walter@microgadgets.co.za
    Walter Cell: 082 223 5489
    Office: (031) 765 6370

POSTAL ADDRESS:
    Micro Gadgets
    8a Plantation Road
    Hillcrest Park
    P.O. BOX 3610
    KZN
    South Africa"

“Ubuntu is the essence of being humane" Desmond Tutu
    Spelling mistakes and/or typographical errors I found in leading publications.
    Click here
    sabbaticus

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    I have contacted Walter, and he has apologised and will give me a full refund on Monday.

I was as mad as a hatter when I realised that I had a R10 000 cell phone in a counterfeit case and was going to crucify him and his company on the internet, but I don't believe it would be fair, the reason I say this, because I have had other people look at the case, and if you don't know about the circled R next to the name and didn't actually check the serial number it is extremely difficult to determine it is a fake, none of the people who have looked at the case believe it could be a fake, Everything else about the case looks real, it even passed the 1 hour water test. The spelling on the packaging is correct, there is no fading of colours, The only thing which got me started with the research was the fact that people where complaining that I was breaking up while talking on the phone, if it wasn't for that and the video I attached I would still believe it was an original.

The second 2 nd reason why I don't want to judge Walter unfairly is because I went to Gateway yesterday and visited a reputable company which sells and repairs Apple products and yes you guessed right, the lifeproof cases they are selling don't have the circle R next to the name in the top right cover or at the back bottom flap, so without even opening the packaging to have the serial number checked, maybe Walter is not to blame. If nobody who has purchased one of these covers for their ipad have not picked up that they a fakes, how could Walter?

A lesson I have learnt from this, don't put a R10 000 device into a cover which might even be an original because even if the case fails due to factory defect you have no claim for the device against lifeproof, they will replace the cover at no charge but you will have to pay for the repair or a new device.

I have decided to purchase a griffin survivor case for my iphone 5 instead, if I plan on taking it for a swim I will use one of the cases designed to go 60 metres under the water, but rather just use my go pro camera which is designed for underwater filming.

Just something else I have been thinking about, when I contacted lifelproof they indicated that they where aware of the problem with the lifeproof cases and had since redesigned the case and there is a new generation cover, what happened to all the generation 1 lifeproof cases and do they have the circled R...mmm just something to think about. They have a 3 day response time due to high call volumes, also makes you think, another reason I have decided to go with the griffin survivor case.

Lifeproof have a reseller in SA ( http://www.lifeproofsa.co.za/) but they don't stock iphone 5 cases nor the ipad mini case, just too many things about lifeproof which make me nervous to buy any of their products.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    This is the response I received from lifeproof

Thank you for taking the time to contact LifeProof Customer Support. I am very sorry for the delay and inconvenience that you have been experiencing regarding your case. We regret to inform you that the serial numbers you have provided have been flagged in our system as fraudulent.

Due to the high volume of counterfeit cases that are circulating Amazon, ebay, Kiosks and other 3rd party internet websites, we are unable to provide warranty claims for products that were not purchased from Lifeproof.com or a retail store.

Your best option at this point is to return your original case and purchase one from an authorized reseller of us. Let me know if you have any further questions or concerns, or visit www.lifeproof.com/en/fake-lifeproof-case for more information.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast