Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Beware of lifeproof cases for apple products

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Diamond Member
    Thanks

Beware of lifeproof cases for apple products

If you have purchased a lifeproof case in South Africa, you need to verify that if is not a counterfeit by sending the serial number to lifeproof.com

I purchased a lifeproof case and did all the tests to verify it was waterproof, it passed, but there where a few minor issues like people complaining that they could not hear me when I spoke into the phone, so I did a little research.

I would never have picked up that it was a counterfeit product by the packaging or the case itself it was so well made.

Apparently there are no resellers in South Africa according to lifeproof so if you purchase in SA chances are it is a counterfeit.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Shoo another scam. Seems they are all around us.
    Victor - Knowledge is a blessing or a curse, your current circumstances make you decide!
    Solar pumping, Solar Geyser & Solar Security lighting solutions - www.microsolve.co.za

Suspended
    Thanks
    At they not available perhaps because SA does not yet have the proper Apple stores in our country, only the local "I" store, which is a big difference ?

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Trust me the refund will be collected one of the reasons I don't buy online.

I don't think you realise how pissed off I am at this point with Telkom, Apple, fake cases, etc. I have had enough.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    There is now a company which is a reseller, lifeproofsa.co.za, unfortunately they don't stock iphone 5 products nor ipad mini product, much good that is.

Something to be aware of if you decide to use a water proof cover for your electronic device, the water proof cover company will NOT repair or replace the device you use in the cover even if it fails after the first day, they will replace the cover but not the device, even if it is an original, just something to think about before putting a R10 000 - R15 000 device into a waterproof housing and taking a dip.

Something else to consider, the call centre will respond to you claim within 3 DAYS due to the high call rate...eeeeeish, need I say anymore.

So what do I take away from this terrible experience, if you plan on using your electronic device for extreme experiences, be prepared to waste a lot of money or use the correct device designed for the application, ie don't use an iphone 5 when you go diving or riding your bike...rather get a go pro which at least replaces the unit when they fail, which by the way seems to be common especially with the go pro hero 2, but at least they replace the units if with in the warranty period.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Lets not even start the Apple discussion

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Just got an email from lifeproof.com, they have verified that my lifeproof cover purchased from http://www.microgadgets.co.za/ is a counterfeit.

If you have a lifeproof cover for an iphone 5 there are a few simple things to look out for:

You will find people cannot hear you when you speak into the phone mic,

The touch screen becomes non responsive once you dial a number,

the shape of the camera lens is slightly different,

The serial number in the back case is not correct,

there is no serial number in the front cover,

the inside of the black cover is not black,

The scary thing is everything else including the packaging looks identical, there are bar codes, scan code, the spelling is correct, the pics are embossed, you will not even know you have a counterfeit unless you check all these things and even the things I have listed work I would send the serial numbers to lifeproof just to verify.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ians View Post
    Just got an email from lifeproof.com, they have verified that my lifeproof cover purchased from http://www.microgadgets.co.za/ is a counterfeit.

If you have a lifeproof cover for an iphone 5 there are a few simple things to look out for:

You will find people cannot hear you when you speak into the phone mic,

The touch screen becomes non responsive once you dial a number,

the shape of the camera lens is slightly different,

The serial number in the back case is not correct,

there is no serial number in the front cover,

the inside of the black cover is not black,

The scary thing is everything else including the packaging looks identical, there are bar codes, scan code, the spelling is correct, the pics are embossed, you will not even know you have a counterfeit unless you check all these things and even the things I have listed work I would send the serial numbers to lifeproof just to verify.
    This is disturbing! Have you contacted ‘Walter,’ for a refund? What does Walter have to say?

"CONTACT DETAILS

e-mail: walter@microgadgets.co.za
    Walter Cell: 082 223 5489
    Office: (031) 765 6370

POSTAL ADDRESS:
    Micro Gadgets
    8a Plantation Road
    Hillcrest Park
    P.O. BOX 3610
    KZN
    South Africa"

“Ubuntu is the essence of being humane" Desmond Tutu
    Spelling mistakes and/or typographical errors I found in leading publications.
    Click here
    sabbaticus

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    My work phone is Nokia 1280, no need to spend R65 a month on insurance, never had a customer complain about missed calls not being displayed on the phone, battery lasts sometimes up to a week.

The best is nobody steals it, I left it on a meter box out in the weather for a night, went back to site and there it was still where I left it, I have people bring my phone to me when I leave it on machines I work on.

One thing I can take away form this experience, if you are looking to replace your phone, get a cheapie and a small tablet rather than a smart phone, they are just tooo small to use as a laptop and too big to carry around as a phone, but the bigger problem is you always have to be careful where put it down or if you drop it, it is not worth the hassle, use the phone for what it is designed for and a tablet to do everything else, just my 2 cents.

All I can say it was a very expensive mistake getting an iphone 5, if you work on construction site like I do it is like carrying very a expensive egg around in your pocket just waiting to break. You can only learn form your mistakes.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    There is a very simple way to determine it your lifeproof case is for real or a counterfeit, just look at the box cover, in the top right corner where is says LIFEPROOF there must be a R in a circle

this video points out all the things to look out for,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WqmnfZhmGZM

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast