Thread: spotlights

Bronze Member
    Thanks

spotlights

Can anyone tell me what the lifespan is for these 15W and 500W hallogen globes as I'm getting called weekly to go change these globes on these small black spotlight made for these globes. The voltage is fine and there's no short on the cables. I don't know what is wrong with these lights and don't know what to tell the customer. Any advise wil be much appreciated please!

Thanks
    http://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/1983...t-problem.html maybe this can help, but I am no expert.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Yep it's the cheap stuff from China. Paying R10 for a 500W hallogen tube is not going to work for long. My experience is also a week to two.
    Maybe it is time to replace the Hallogens for LED spots?
    They are about R1,000 for a 50W LED spot which is comparable to the 500W Hallogen.
    They should last some 50,000 hours and are not voltage sensitive, usually operating voltages can vary from 165 to 260V
    Victor - Knowledge is a blessing or a curse, your current circumstances make you decide!
    Solar pumping, Solar Geyser & Solar Security lighting solutions - www.microsolve.co.za

Bronze Member
    Thanks
    Thought so, i played R24 for it, but matelec is suppose to be good,they have lots of good stuff. I tried another type that cost me R55 and lasted about nine days

Email problem
    Thanks
    it might be the lampholders ,if it looks burnt where it makes contact with the lamp it overheats and shortens the life.
    make sure the fittings are'nt installed too close under roof sheets etc . the heat needs to rise and dissapate. if not the fitting overheats and shortens lamp life.

6. Thanks given for this post:

AndyD (27-May-13)

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Until 2 or 3 years back, the same lamp holders, the globes used to last a year or more, so no physical change to the position of the holders, except for the lamps themselves. The quality just is not there any more.
    Victor - Knowledge is a blessing or a curse, your current circumstances make you decide!
    Solar pumping, Solar Geyser & Solar Security lighting solutions - www.microsolve.co.za

Bronze Member
    Thanks
    Thanks for everyone's advice, i modified two of the lights and put normal 11w energy saver globes in to show the customer he must get energy saver spot lights

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    500 watt halogen light fittings are junk and the lamps don't last period, there doesnt need to be a problem with the fitting for the lamp to pop, it is common for these lamps not to last, whether you pay R5 or R50 for them, there could be a few reasons, vibration or the lamp was covered/protected while installing it are 2 common issues.

I have had problems in a building where the incandescent kept popping and no matter what price we paid or make of lamp we used they didn't last, we found due to the vibration caused from the traffic on the main road adjacent to the building caused the filament to break when hot, we replaced all the incandescent lamps with energy saver lamps and we no longer have a problem.

Did you like this article? Share it with your favourite social network.

Did you like this article? Share it with your favourite social network.