Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Business Plan. What to look out for?

Silver Member
    Thanks
    Wellinformed.co.za - Networking Forums SA partner site. Let's support each other for a better South Africa.

Silver Member
    Thanks
    Hi Riaan, didn't see your name anywhere so i used your nick

Dave..... you should know me better and this is one of the mysteries of the inet for one to take something written out of context.

If i offended anyone i do apologize.
    Wellinformed.co.za - Networking Forums SA partner site. Let's support each other for a better South Africa.

Email problem RKS Computer Solutions's Avatar
    Thanks
    Snoopy, it's cool... Have you come any closer to answering your unanswered questions regarding partnerships and startup businesses in general....

Silver Member
    Thanks
    To be honest im still tugging at the idea of partnership... i have been reading alot of things on the Net but as they say. Personal Experience beats any book written hence my questions to you guys.

Thing is i want to be Prepared and being under prepared im going to be getting the bad end of the stick.... the issues i face are a partner that knows business well vs me a new time business owner. I have to know the quirks and the shortcomings etc so i can get ready for them before i stick my neck out and get taken for a ride.

I'm sure you understand.

Email problem RKS Computer Solutions's Avatar
    Thanks
    If you cringe at the idea of taking on an experienced partner for the sake of business, rather dip your toes into the water on your own... Taken from the objective of making a hobby into a business, this would be great as you would be learning at the same time as building up your reputation, instead of just looking like the lackey for the guy with the knowledge...

You've mentioned that you've been around business owners your whole life, so take the plunge and use those people as mentors, have them guide you where needed and keep on asking questions, it's the only way you'll ever be able to stand on your own feet...

Silver Member
    Thanks
    well my thinking is that i could learn alot more by having a partner on this venture... this is by no means the only company that i will start. I have my eyes on a couple of things that will work together eventually.

My query still stands about what roles one should take and what kind of questions one should ask that there isn't any misconception of who does what and how one does it etc.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,258 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Part of what makes this tricky discussing in a forum format is that when it comes to partners there are so many variables. It is certainly way more complex than kicking off on your own.

One of the quips I remember was something along the lines of "You need to pick a business partner more carefully than your wife!" Whilst I'm not sure about the more part, it certainly isn't that far off the truth.

So how do you go about picking a life partner? Is there really a stock set of questions?

I think at the end of the day the key ingredients are trust and commitment. Missing either one and the prospects of trouble escalate dramatically.

Probably the only other piece of key advice - and this one I expect should be a basic must although I break it all the time - Plan the divorce before the wedding! With any luck you'll never have to implement that plan, but simply having it there, and knowing full well the price that goes with the break-up can actually prevent a poorly considered parting of ways.

Silver Member
    Thanks
    "Plan the divorce before the wedding!" --- give me an example of what you mean by that. IE how would i go about planing something like that?

Some sort of legal document that says after a period of time either one of us can buy the other out or how would one work it.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,258 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Basically, issues around dissolution of partnership need to be thoroughly dealt with in the partnership agreement. Unfortunately, every agreement I've ever seen has had some aspect in it I've never seen before, or some subtle combination of nuances. There really doesn't seem to be a "best practice" version.

Probably the only way to deal with this is to get some sort of standard proposed agreement and check that both partners are comfortable with every aspect. Don't be shy to propose a change if there's something you're not happy about.

Whatever you do, you're unlikely to be doing the "dance of joy" if the day ever comes where you start using the bust-up clauses - so don't expect some elegant solution. Win/win is rare at those times.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast