Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Business Plan. What to look out for?

Silver Member
    Thanks
    I am now using the same product you mentioned above dave.

It asks a bunch of questions i really dont have a clue to but im wadding through it slowley.

Are ther any criteria that one can advise on the way about business plans, that one of you have picked up from experience?

would be appriciated.
    Wellinformed.co.za - Networking Forums SA partner site. Let's support each other for a better South Africa.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,677 Times in 2,258 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Part of the trouble is cookie cutter templates are generic and a business plan is affected by all sorts of factors. This makes some aspects of these templates pretty much trivial.

I read through the one on the Nedbank site once a while ago. Part of the challenge is that aspects are tailored around getting finance - and the cynic in me says they spend far more time perusing the collateral section than some of the stuff that really counts towards the success of the business.

It does ask some interesting questions, though, that test your understanfding of your concept - and that's what you need to focus on. If it's not applicable, cross it out. If something is relevant that isn't in the template - add it in.

It's your plan - done to make sure you understand how this is going to work. You need to know:
    • What the product is.
    • What the product costs.
    • Where the customers are.
    • Why the customer will buy from you.
    • What the customer will pay.
    • How you will reach the customer.
    • How you will be paid.
    • What skills you have.
    • What skills you need to acquire.
    • Where the obstacles are.
    • How much capital you need.
    • What other people are already doing.

There's probably more - but how's that for a start.

3. Thanks given for this post:

bizsmarts (07-May-09)

Silver Member
    Thanks
    Thanks ill use that as a base and include it with the rest of my research.... is there a business 101 for the people starting out from scratch?
    Wellinformed.co.za - Networking Forums SA partner site. Let's support each other for a better South Africa.

Silver Member
    Thanks
    Ok i have a question.

What questions would you ask yourself if you not quite sure of the business. I know that sounds absurd but let me explain:

I know what i want to start, I have the Capital to start it. I know what kind of products im giong to supply and how im going to supply it. I konw my medium term goals and long term goals. I am just strugglin to form my short term goals and ask the questions that will give me the information im asking myself.

I was wondering. what questions does one ask oneself about the new business?

IE: what are my strengths?
    What are my weaknesses?
    What procedures do i require?
    etc.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Snoopy_inc View Post
    is there a business 101 for the people starting out from scratch?
    I chewed over that one a bit. And here is why.

The DTI had (perhaps still has) a program that was supposed to develop emerging entrepeneurs. It had a 6 week intensive training course and 6 months of mentorship built in - plus a priority treatment support side that gave folks preferential treatment for government, provincial and municipal contracts for a year.

I was last exposed to the numbers on this about 18 months ago - but they weren't good. From memory the success (survival?) rate after 1 year was about 2%. And looking at what was being taught, the problem was not the material. I would have loved to sit in on some of that stuff.

When it comes to entrepreneurship, there's an x factor of some sort that isn't injected in courses somehow.

Silver Member
    Thanks
    I dont have a problem being an entrepreneur. The problem i face is that i never have used material or read anything serious on business. I have been around people that own businesses all my life, and have picked up on some of their knowledge as i have gone along.

Its like skipping through a book.... i know certain things but im lacking in areas. I want to work on those and get them up to speed..... hence the 101 business idea.

On the other question i would like to get your views on that...... maybe you could add to those questions and put ... What to ask your Partners and what to establish in the beginning about what roles are to be played etc.

Silver Member
    Thanks
    hrm... still no reply... ok i guess ill keep looking around.

Email problem RKS Computer Solutions's Avatar
    Thanks
    Last edited by Dave A; 25-Jul-08 at 09:39 PM. Reason: clean up URLs

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Snoopy_inc View Post
    hrm... still no reply... ok i guess ill keep looking around.
    A rather disappointing comment given the 1-on-1 attention given after your previous post

Silver Member
    Thanks
    Dave, Wasn't meant to be harsh. But if you read my question its a 2 question question. You answered alot in the 1 on 1 which i appreciate but i am still looking for the answers with regards to the "What to ask your Partners and what to establish in the beginning about what roles are to be played etc."

Sorry if you misinterpreted my words.... but i still don't have the answers for that specific question. Hence the message to refresh the topic.

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast