Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Safe room door

Diamond Member
    Thanks

Safe room door

I need to make 2 doors, one for my passage and one for my "safe" room for my family.

I was going to make them bullet proof and fill them with a material to absorb the impact,but instead I have decided make them strong enough that a bullet will actually bounce off. The door will have 4 dead bolts, 2 on either side. My question to all the bright sparks, what would be the best material to use, the door must be designed in such a way that,

when you look at the door it must just look like a normal wooden door

the wood must be thin enough that it doesn't absorb any impact,

the material used must ricochet the bullet with max force,

the weight is not a big issue but the lighter the better,

the cost, my family safety is worth more than any piece of material.

Thanks
    An angle iron frame with 6mm steel plate behind and an ordinary door planed to fit the angle frame.
    Don't forget to put dead bolts at the hinge side as well, that is the weak point on most security doors.
    "Nobody who has succeeded has not failed along the way"
    Arianna Huffington

Read the first 10% of my books "Didymus" and "The BEAST of BIKO BRIDGE" for free
    You can also read and download 100% free my short stories "A Real Surprise" and "Pieces of Eight" at
    http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/332256

Thanks
    Oh and make sure the ceiling access is protected otherwise the Zombies will come in that way.
    "Nobody who has succeeded has not failed along the way"
    Arianna Huffington

Read the first 10% of my books "Didymus" and "The BEAST of BIKO BRIDGE" for free
    You can also read and download 100% free my short stories "A Real Surprise" and "Pieces of Eight" at
    http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/332256

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    That's why the safe room is in the corner of the house with the fire wall protection from the one side, I am also concerned about exit in case they try smoke us out, there is an awning which we can escape across into the neighbours yard, unfortunately it makes easy access for them if they come from that side, but we need an exit route. Putting hand rails up the wall so it doesn't look like a ladder, might be an idea to fit shutter board under the ceiling, so if they try drop in through the roof they would get a little surprise.

The shower has 3 walls, 1 x firewall and 2 side walls and the door facing wall extends past the shower and there are no windows facing the shower door.

The next step is gas for the rest of the house, past the passage door not in the bedrooms or passage, the panic button to release the gas will be in the safe room.

If my house was big enough I would have built a cupboard or book shelf in front of a concealed room, which would be the safe room.

Takes me back to Angola, maybe I should build an underground bunkers with access through the floor, the only problem is my wife would think I was going nuts, digging in the middle of my bedroom floor, filling sand bags.

I cant believe that it has got to that stage that I felt safer in Angola in the middle of a bush war than in my own home.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    If I use stainless steel could I go thinner on the door panel?

Thanks
    Ian Have a look at armox a lot of the armoured cars use it. But it is big $ http://www.ssab.com/en/Brands/Armox/
    Only stress when you can change the outcome!

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    http://hiddenpassageway.com/?gclid=C...FRLLtAodoT4APg

Found some interesting ideas, there could be a market for this kind stuff in this country in the near future, lets hope the friendlies keep up the great job they doing of terrorising the communities. The market is already flooded with electric fencing, alarm, armed response, cctv etc etc etc.

Thanks
    If you need to bug out

What about a very secret very strong room. A reinforced secret room is not that difficult or expensive to build. You know, the usual, Bookrack or walk-in change room. Layer it as well, with a primary gate/door which forms an enclosed secure area outside the strong room. Within its parameters will be the wife and kids. Within this area is the secret door to the strong room. The presence of the strong room is Need to Know Only. Cleaned and serviced by yours truly. Completely hidden and functional. Separate from service lines etc..
    It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change. – Charles Darwin

Thanks
    @Ians Any flat surface will normally not cause a ricochet, any bullets would "mushroom" on impact, in order to create a surface that causes richo's you will need to form a panel (behind the wooden covering) that has a scalloped surface (multiple half moon indentations), as the bullets catch the edges of these scallops it causes them to deflect, the more perfect the scallops are, the stronger the chance that the bullet will deflect to the point where it was fired. I'll draw a picture to explain this in more detail if needed? But, be warned, it will be very expensive to produce and will be very heavy.
    Today Defines Tomorrow
    Errare Humanum Est Remitto Divinus

Thanks
    Here are the guys that stock and cut armox VR Laser
    Only stress when you can change the outcome!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast