Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Points to Consider With Social Media Marketing

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I've been chewing over the first two posts in particular, but probably should kick off with my top points to consider when it comes to social media marketing.

1. Make sure you understand the significance of the word social in "social media marketing".

Social media has a few forms, but the most popular formats where communities assemble are essentially the online equivalent of real world social gatherings.
    What works and what doesn't online pretty much follows the same rules of social engagement offline.

2. Make sure you understand the difference between social interaction and advertising.

Placing adverts on social media platforms is a very different activity to engaging in conversations on social media platforms.
    Placing adverts can be done by the Advertising Department. Identify where they belong, draw up the advert, arrange for its placement and done.
    Engaging members of an assembled crowd on a topic that isn't directly the primary purpose of the gathering is a different task, probably a job better suited to the Public Relations Department.

3. Make sure you don't confuse engaging conversation opportunities with free advertising space.

If the discussion is about saving whales and you are selling a soap that does not contain any whale products, there may be a timeous opportunity to slip your soap into the conversation as a by-line, but that's about it if you're looking for a positive result.
    Repeatedly raising your soap when the main discussion is plainly about saving whales, or blatantly pitching your soap advert as a substitute for meaningful conversation is probably not going to go down so well.
    There is a time and a place for most things. Bad timing and bad placement = bad results.

4. Make sure you understand the community you're engaging with.

If you want to have any influence over an individual or community, you first need to be accepted and earn some level of trust and respect.
    Barge in and make assumptions at your peril.

And finally...

5. Someone is paying for the drinks.

(I'll leave the reader to ponder possible sub-points on that one )

2. Thank given for this post:

adrianh (15-May-13), Wiz (26-Jul-13)

Thanks
    I'm not sure if TFSA fits into the social media bracket but, if it does, then it has been a very effective marketing medium for me!

Even though it has not cost me a cent in advertising costs, it has only worked for me because of the time and effort that I have put into it, combined with the Google-friendliness of TFSA. In fact, most of my business has come about from strangers (non TFSA members) that have Googled for my services and have come across my posts on the forum.

Thank you, Dave, for providing such an amazing medium!
    Neville Bailey - Sage Pastel Accounting Consultant
    www.accountingsoftwaresupport.co.za
    neville@accountingsoftwaresupport.co.za
    IronTree Online Solutions

"Give every person more in use value than you take from them in cash value."
    WALLACE WATTLES (1860-1911)

4. Thanks given for this post:

Wiz (26-Jul-13)

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    I have found that if you are looking for business as a small guy on forums, you need to become active on the right forums and you need to make sure you are a nice guy who shares information regarding your field or product, without sounding like you are pushing yourself or product onto people.

This forum is a good example, if I was looking for business on this forum I wouldn't respond to posts in the manner I do,

my signature would have my web site address

A photo of myself would be my avatar,

I would respond to posts in a more professional manner but add a little humour and a personal touch,

I would add a little more info with regards to myself, including my hobbies etc,

Neville is a good example of how to get business from a forum and as we all know word of mouth is the best advertising out there,

Conclusion, no matter what platform, forum, website or internet media you want to promote your self or product stick to a few important guides lines and they will all work for you even face book, twitter etc.

The key is to get people to trust you, that takes time.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Neville Bailey View Post
    Thank you, Dave, for providing such an amazing medium!
    Thank you Neville for being such a great example of how it should be done

The formula works and everyone's a winner.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I feel that social media advertising, really only works for a product that can be serviced under a national basis, and this usually falls under the very large corporations, such as Coke, BMW, Samsung, to name a few. Having a little hardware store selling paint, and using social media to get sales is just not going to work, as the diversity of the members in the social media network may be nationally or even internationally based, and the chances that they going to buy some paint in your shop just is not going to happen.
    Victor - Knowledge is a blessing or a curse, your current circumstances make you decide!
    Solar pumping, Solar Geyser & Solar Security lighting solutions - www.microsolve.co.za

Suspended
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Justloadit View Post
    I feel that social media advertising, really only works for a product that can be serviced under a national basis, and this usually falls under the very large corporations, such as Coke, BMW, Samsung, to name a few. Having a little hardware store selling paint, and using social media to get sales is just not going to work, as the diversity of the members in the social media network may be nationally or even internationally based, and the chances that they going to buy some paint in your shop just is not going to happen.
    In a way yes, but if you do a facebook add, target market eg age between 20-50, target your area, male only, business owners only or not and then boost your add, you do stand a fairly good chance of someone in your area wanting your product. And every time someone comments or likes your add it is re-promoted to their friends which might very well be in the same area.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I tend to agree with HR Solutions.

When it comes to advert placement on the internet, you can actually get incredibly targeted - and it's getting better all the time.

And there's no reason why you can't achieve the same location targeting with social media marketing. Although the message might go to a wider audience, you can still make sure you generate mainly local enquiries and interest by including locality in your message.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12