Busy with an interesting issue which I have never had to deal with before.

I did a COC for a house which is a total write off, I cut and disconnect literally the entire house, the purchaser bought the house for about a third of the property value if not less , and was advised accordingly.

Now months down the line I get a call from the new owner enquiring about bypassing the electricity meter, and instructed me that I must attend to the problem because I signed over the COC. Well I just laughed, yeah right you got to be kidding.

I informed the new owner that I have no authority to disconnect tor reconnect the meter, only the municipality metering department can break the seal and reseal the meter. In the case of a new installation I would install the meter in the location as illustrated on the application form and leave tails for the municipality to connect and seal. In the case of a relocation I would have to send a in an application for them to disconnect and reconnect, supply a new meter box with tails etc ready for them.

The COC has absolutely nothing to do with the metering and I cannot be held liable for any issue the new or old owner have with regards to someone bypassing a meter, in fact 90 % of the time I don't even open the meter box and if there is no power I merely state on the COC that there was no power at the time of test and therefore could not complete all the test results.