Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sim swap scam

Thanks

Sim swap scam

BANKING SCAM

You will receive a SMS from a number similar as the one that you get bank notifications from. The SMS will indicate a problem on your
    account and a "consultant" will contact you.* When the
    "consultant" contacts you he/she will start confirming all your
    details: account number and then ask you what kind of a phone you are
    using.* The fraudsters will then contact your cell phone
    provider and perform a SIM Swap.* The fraudsters will then be
    able to receive OTP's (One Time Pins) and/or RVN's (Random Verification Numbers) from your bank and have access to your bank
    accounts.* By the time you realize that your cell number is
    not working your money will be out of your account.
    ~Expenses will eat you alive! - My first Boss~

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    There are articles running on face book about this scam, but according to responses it is not possible, who knows, there is just so much crap going on in the electronic arena you don't know what to believe and not believe.

The bottom line is surely you are not that stupid to give out personal details over the phone. When the bank calls you for example, as what has happened to me, then start asking you what your account number is, come on people why would the bank ask u your account number if they phoning you, its called common sense.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I've had staff members wander into a branch of our cellular service provider and do a lost/stolen SIM card change/replacement without much drama. Well, let's put it this way, I've had cases where I only hear about it after the fact. Strictly speaking, I feel the service provider should revert to the account holder's official representative first before doing it.

Ultimately the concern when it comes to online banking is your security is not just in the hands of the banks and their processes - it now also relies on the security and processes of the cellular service provider.

Silver Member
    Thanks
    Just another reason to bank with Capitec - they do not use a cell phone for authentication...

Thanks
    I just discovered a shop in Benoni has done network caller ID settings on my number or phone, on 3 May 13 and took out insurance for something? for R5 pm. I live in Klerksdorp and was never near this shop. I instructed, or as Vodacom calls it, escalated the case to be investigated.

People I phone all of a sudden started asking why I call from a private number. I could not correct the problem on the phone's settings and called 082111. That is how I discovered this today.

Thanks
    Now it is not just email warnings anymore.

http://www.sabc.co.za/news/a/5b17d60...passe-20130905

7. Thanks given for this post:

ians (10-May-13)

Silver Member
    Thanks
    Decided I might as well decrease my credit at FNB - if I don't use it a figure is might be dangerous having these limits left open IF my account ever gets hacked. So called in - and was quite surprised to be asked my pin number - yes my PIN, something we are told we should NEVER give over the phone. I did not and got put through to an operator - but she wanted to put me back onto the system so that I could put my pin in. This just seems very, very dangerous in my book.... Anyway, will dump that c/ card and just activate being able to buy on the internet with my Capitec card.

Thanks
    This maybe a little off-topic, but has anyone else noticed that since the RICA, the amount of bogus calls and advertising has risen substantially, I even get calls that when answered have this advert that plays, I just hang up as soon as I hear it's not a real person on the other end?
    Today Defines Tomorrow
    Errare Humanum Est Remitto Divinus

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Pap_sak View Post
    Decided I might as well decrease my credit at FNB - if I don't use it a figure is might be dangerous having these limits left open IF my account ever gets hacked. So called in - and was quite surprised to be asked my pin number - yes my PIN, something we are told we should NEVER give over the phone. I did not and got put through to an operator - but she wanted to put me back onto the system so that I could put my pin in. This just seems very, very dangerous in my book.... Anyway, will dump that c/ card and just activate being able to buy on the internet with my Capitec card.
    I have put in a pin number on the phone keypad with FNB. This was months ago no problems yet
    Only stress when you can change the outcome!

Thanks
    If anybody asks me for my pin number I just give them the universal "G3TFU#K3D"
    I usually don't hear from them again.
    "Nobody who has succeeded has not failed along the way"
    Arianna Huffington

Read the first 10% of my books "Didymus" and "The BEAST of BIKO BRIDGE" for free
    You can also read and download 100% free my short stories "A Real Surprise" and "Pieces of Eight" at
    http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/332256

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast