Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Word Press Help please

Suspended
    Thanks

Word Press Help please

Can someone please help me with a Word press site. We have just had a site done by a guy on wordpress. Apart from a few problems we are having, one of the problems I have is if you type our name or telephone number under a google search, it cannot find our wordpress site ? The second problem I am having is if you type our website www.2hrs.co.za in a facebook posting (where you normally post) it comes up "Under Construction" . Does anyone know what the problem is please ?

Thanks
    Hi
    Google search works here.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hrs.PNG 
Views:	215 
Size:	19.2 KB 
ID:	3529
    Try a different browser.
    Only stress when you can change the outcome!

Suspended
    Thanks
    @ ian - Ok I see that but if you click on it it comes up as : http://2hrs.co.za/ not www.2hrs.co.za. why is this and is it a problem ?
    And as I said if you type in the actual company name HR Solutions it does not come up in google !
    Does this perhaps have something to do with the different URL's above - Is it not something on Wordpress that the guy has loaded something wrong ?

Thanks
    In the Wordpress backend check GeneraL Settings - WordPress Address (URL) and Site Address (URL)

Read: http://codex.wordpress.org/Changing_The_Site_URL
    At your own risk....

BOVER Technologies
    - computer sales and TeamViewer support
    Elmine Botha Freelance Photographer - Photographer/ Videographer

Suspended
    Thanks
    chrismine thank you for that advice. I have just checked it and it seems to be the http one, not the www one, but I cant seem to change it. It gives me an error message !

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Wordpress is going to need write permissions on your .htaccess file in the public root directory.

Using whatever file manager you have available, change the permissions on the .htaccess file, make the change in Wordpress, then change the permissions on your .htaccess file to read only again.

The other way of doing it is insert this into your .htaccess file:
    Last edited by Dave A; 09-May-13 at 09:56 PM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by HR Solutions View Post
    @ ian - Ok I see that but if you click on it it comes up as : http://2hrs.co.za/ not www.2hrs.co.za. why is this and is it a problem ?
    And as I said if you type in the actual company name HR Solutions it does not come up in google !
    Does this perhaps have something to do with the different URL's above - Is it not something on Wordpress that the guy has loaded something wrong ?
    You should be able to get to your website from either www or without that is how our websites are setup. Your hosting company will set that up. I don't see that as a problem.
    For getting your company name to come up on google the cheap way is with google adwords. Just never let them bid for you always put on a limit.
    SEO from my side is a wing and pray with lots of words. Search for Kwikfolders a made up name for one of my products. But this has been out there for years.
    Only stress when you can change the outcome!

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by IanF View Post
    You should be able to get to your website from either www or without that is how our websites are setup.
    Good onsite SEO should force the URL to resolve to one or the other.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Hrmm.

If you remind me about this via PM tomorrow I'll take a look for you.

It's not necessary to do a redirect via .htaccess as this can be modified directly from the admin panel. Sounds like you may also have a few indexation settings.

I'll run our crawler through your site to see if I can pick up anything specific when I'm back on a PC.

10. Thanks given for this post:

HR Solutions (10-May-13)

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    OK - let's give this a proper whirl.

I suspect your problem is the URL you are trying to post on Facebook has already been crawled and cached by Facebook (obviously before the site was actually properly up and running).

This is the Facebook URL debug tool. It doesn't use the Facebook cache and tests live. Slap a URL in there and you get a whole lot of useful feedback.
    (And when I put your site's URL in there, it brought back a whole pile of painful memories about og tags )

The bad news is your install is not optimised for Facebook - it's missing a few og tags. The good news is it is good enough to produce a reasonable result from posting a link on Facebook - if there's a way to overcome the cache problem. (Follow the link, put in your URL and see for yourself).

You're not alone - I checked TFSA too and I see that somewhere in one of the upgrades I lost all the hard work I'd put into optimising TFSA for Facebook myself.

I got fairly involved in the development of vBulletin at one point, and did a lot of alpha and beta testing of its native Facebook optimisation. Unfortunately the discussions I'd love to link to are in member only content on vBulletin.com and so long ago I expect I'd have serious trouble finding it. So here goes from memory...

The Facebook URL crawler is a fairly tricky beast to please.

The first problem is it times out in no time flat (and who can blame it given the volume of work it's put to). This presents a real challenge for websites hosted in SA where you're losing about 250ms of response time window just by virtue of the crawl coming from offshore. You're server simply has to be on its game and ready to fire. Link to a slow responding server and you're dead.

Next, the crawler searches for a rel=canonical tag in the page head section (which your site has ), and then crawls that page if it is different to the link originally inputted.
    If this is successful, this is the link that will be returned and used in your post on Facebook.
    Now it looks for og tags. This is information in your page head section specifically intended for Facebook use, and gives a lot of control over how your page is previewed in a Facebook post.
    If that isn't found, it'll use the description meta and the first image it can find as the preview content.
    Sometimes it'll give you a few options of images to select.
    It likes jpg images and won't use png images.

I might get around to tackling the www.domain vs http://domain issue another time (if someone doesn't beat me to it). But for now, if you don't know exactly what you're doing or why, I wouldn't change anything. It's working just fine if you want http://domain URLs. If you want www.domain URLs, it's going to take a little work to change.

For now I'm removing the code I posted in post 6 above. If there's a conflict between the content in the .htaccess file and the wp-config.php file, things could get quite ugly.

12. Thanks given for this post:

HR Solutions (10-May-13)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast